Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intalling Driver killed my Computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barrock

Barrock

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

Stuck with a messed up title. :thumbsup:

This is what I have. Windows Vista 32 bit. 3 gigs of RAM. AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core. 2.30 GHz. nvidia GeForce 8800 GT.

Starting Champions Online it detected I didn't have the latest drivers so I went to update them. I'm pretty sure I had version 7.15.11.7545. I updated to 8.15.11.9038. Everything went fine, minus some flickering at the company logos when the game loaded. Created my character and altogether played for around an hour to an hour and a half. I logged out, and browsed the internet for awhile, and then decided to log back in. Same thing with the flickering titles. I get in game, and play for around a minute and the game freezes, screen goes to black, sound starts repeating itself, and the monitor turns off. The computer reboots itself and the resolution is at the lowest setting. I try again, same thing. I tried Bioshock which I played around 3 days ago. I get to kill one enemy before the game freezes, and the computer completely reboots. So I rerolled back to 8.15.11.8585. I tried Bioshock again. Exact same thing.

I downloaded .7545 and attempted to play Champions again. I played for a good five minutes before it froze and I had to manually restart the computer. Someone suggested another driver, and Driversweeper. I also cleaned out the computer with some canned air, cleaning out all the dust. Installed a recommended driver, 1.8250 after a clean sweep. Now Champions only makes it to the loading screen before freezing and rebooting, and Bioshock lasts about 35 seconds.

This morning I was browsing the internet and the dreaded screen freeze hit. Monitor turned off, and the computer rebooted. It said something was wrong and it would check the files to see if there was an error. It won't even boot into the desktop without using Safe Mode. So I took the computer to Best Buy to replace the graphics card and get a better power supply. The guy checking me out said it might be a waste of money and I should get an external hard drive, backup all my data and do System Restore. Someone else also mentioned an AMD TLB processor bug.

Anyone know of anything that I should try?

Edited by Barrock, 20 August 2009 - 06:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:56 AM

The System Restore suggestion has merit.

If the system operated well before you made changes...undo the changes.

Throwing hardware at a driver-related problem...is a waste of money and ineffective since the troublesome drivers remain installed.

Since you can go into safe mode...do that, see if you can uninstall whatever drivers you changed.

FWIW: Games also employ drivers, so any error messages should be written down and further investigated. You might take a look in Event Viewer and see if timing of errors and crashes coincide. If so, post pertinent details displayed in Event Viewer.

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 Barrock

Barrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:45 AM

The System Restore suggestion has merit.

If the system operated well before you made changes...undo the changes.

Throwing hardware at a driver-related problem...is a waste of money and ineffective since the troublesome drivers remain installed.

Since you can go into safe mode...do that, see if you can uninstall whatever drivers you changed.

FWIW: Games also employ drivers, so any error messages should be written down and further investigated. You might take a look in Event Viewer and see if timing of errors and crashes coincide. If so, post pertinent details displayed in Event Viewer.

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

I uninstalled the driver, since I figured it was the problem, ran driversweep, and installed an older driver. I even tried the driver I was running originally when I had no problems. Also, when I was able to get into Windows, it seemed that the graphics card had reverted back to drivers that it came with. Seems to display a blue screen just before it restarts but it's so fast I can't read what it says.

When I was able to log into Windows I did an Internet computer diagnostics. Shortly after it got to the graphics portion where it displays all sorts of colors and shapes it restarted.

Edited by Barrock, 22 August 2009 - 12:57 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

Well...I guess that I would not have reinstalled any drivers...since it has not been proven that the earlier drivers were the problem.

As for the BSOD, you can take steps to read any error message.

How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/

It might help to read the link previously supplied on Help Diagnosing, etc.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users