Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

check disk at startup due to Flashplayer freeze

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 causio08

causio08

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hello to all,

Just wondering if this is happening to others as well:

More often than not, the blue check disk screen shows up after startup. It varifyies files and folders.
Files are truncated ( whatever that means ) during the final part of the check disk.
Usually this happens when streaming videos or anything that uses Flashplayer. :thumbsup:

The picture/sound freezes and nothing that I have tried has solved this issue.
I tried unchecking the accelaration part within Flashplayer setting to no avail. I have tried an earlier version of Flashplayer to no avail.

I can't recall one time when I have been able to watch a complete program without freezing.

Video card: Geforce FX-5500 ( 256MB)
1GB of system memory and 19" LCD Dell monitor.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am a dead end...

Thanks to all :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Prevent Check Disk Upon Boot - #294 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

Thanks Budapest for your reply.

My concern is not with the PC check disk at restart. I am looking into finding out why my PC freezes when watching streaming videos from Hulu, let's say. The video plays ok for a few minutes then the audio and video freeze causing me to hit that restart button on the pc so that it can reboot. Is it a internet connection that is too slow, an outdated video card or driver?

It seems that Flashplayer is usually the cause of the freeze although I have no idea on how to solve this mistery.

I appreciate you taking the time to post a solution for me.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

Uninstall Flash using this tool:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then reboot and reinstall it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

Your concern should be with the chkdsk at restart.

It is running for a reason. Healthy systems do not exhibit such behavior.

It represents a problem and Windows is trying to fix it.

I have no idea what Kelly's #294 does, but your solution should not involve disabling a built in error correction process who's reason for running is not known. At least there is a "undo" to go with it. Hiding the problem from sight does not make it go away. IMHO.

If you want to reset the registry value to the default, from a command prompt (or Start, Run) enter:

chkntfs /d

Then reboot - a couple times. If chkdsk runs and does not fix your problem, you have more troubleshooting to do.

You are also behind in Service Packs - SP3 is GA (Generally Available).

You could be fighting known SP2 issues - for a long time.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Check the Application, System, and Security event logs to see if there are any error codes we can track down to pinpoint the cause of the freeze.

Also, does the problem occur when you run Flash in any browser? Try installing Mozilla, Opera, and Safari with the appropriate Adobe Flash plugins for each. Test each browser and if one works and another doesn't, that gives me a big clue.

#7 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Thanks to all the responses,

I only have 1 browser (IE6). Have not updated due to reports that the new IE is causing problems for some folks, the same with SP3.

I have checked the event viewer. I have found a lot of errors in the Application side.

I have faulty applications and hanging applications with iexplorer.exe--faulty module flash10c.ocx--version 10.0.32.18--0x0010b008.

I also have hanging applications errors with iexplorer.exe-module:hungapp. Some hanging apps have a module: .dll attached to them.
By that I mean that the module would have a name.dll in the error.

I have uninstalled ( using their removal tool ) and reinstall Flash about 4 times already.

Is there a way to repair this iexplore.exe error? I really don't want to mess with the registry.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

You could try the System File Checker:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

Check the version of Internet Explorer you are running by clicking on - Help - About Internet Explorer.

This is important - NO ONE using Microsoft Windows XP should be running a version of Internet Explorer less than Version 6 Service Pack 1.

The reasons are:

- IE6SP1 is the lowest (read here "oldest") version of IE which will allow you to download Windows Updates
- If you have not been running Windows Updates there is a good chance your computer may be infected with something.
- You need the various Microsoft fixes and updates to protect your computer from spyware and virus attacks.

From your last post, it appears you may need assistance from someone in the malware forums. I strongly suggest you install Internet Explorer 7. You do not have to run IE8 (latest version), but you need to give up IE6. Also, as someone suggested earlier, install XP Service Pack 3.

IE7 (I use both IE 7 and 8 on my computers, I use IE6SP1 on my Windows 2000 machines) works well with Flash for me. Try this and let me know how it works.

#10 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hello syscorpsecure,

I updated to IE8 as you suggested. I used to have IE6SP2. I am up to date with fixes and updates as I receive windows updates on a regular basis.

There seem to be a lot more security features in IE8 than IE6, which I will have to figure out as to what I should apply.

I ran a full Malwarebytes' scan which came up clean.

So, I will do a test run with streaming videos from Hulu and see what happens. I am hoping that with the new downloaded IE8, the iexplore.exe issue will go away, if that file was corrupted.

Will report on the findings.

Thanks for all your inputs. :thumbsup:

#11 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

So,

IE8 froze again streaming Netflix shows.

Have installed firefox 3.5 and will test to see if it freezes as well.

Will keep you posted on the findings.

thanks to all :thumbsup:

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

You didn't mention Netflix before. They don't use Flash. They use Microsoft Silverlight.

#13 SJesMe

SJesMe

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

If I may, I will add my voice to Causio08's ... While I do not have the chkdsk problem (running XP Pro SP3, IE6 with all available MS Updates), I DO have the FlashPlayer freeze problems: i.e., "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." And, incidentally, this same error occurs using the Firefox/Mozilla browser (as I detest IE7 and will avoid it for as long as possible).

I had been running FlashPlayer ver. 9.0.159.0 without issue (it being more stable than any ver. 10 update IMHO) until the recent spate of MS Updates in August. Thus, I am convinced at least one of those updates caused a conflict with FlashPlayer. I uninstalled FP9 when the problem first occurred, crossed my fingers and installed the latest FP 10.0.32.18 and immediately had the same freeze issue. Mind, now, it is not each and every time I utilize flash content ... but it is frequent enough to consider using a baseball bat as the best remedy!

Further, the Adobe forums are full of stories from Adobicidal users who are experiencing these same issues without relief from Adobe techies who invariably point their cyberfingers at third party apps.

Finally, it seems that even the Adobe uinstall_flash_player.exe is incapable of fully uninstalling the player as I note with dismay that I am now dealing with Flash9h.ocx when, in theory, if I have a clean install, should it not simply be Flash9.ocx?

Forgive the length of this, my virgin post, but I turn to this trusted forum in the hope that I can restore functionality of FlashPlayer without resorting to a system restore that will, by necessity, be a month old in order to uninstall all the MS Updates and reinstall them one-by-one to determine which of them has caused the problem. (sigh)

Thank you for your time and any help you can think to offer.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

Only one thing wrong with the theory proposed about updates and Flash...what about all us users who don't have symptoms that go along with that theory?

FWIW: The reason that there are updates to Flash Player, Java, etc...is not just to keep the workers at these enterprises occupied. Updates come about (often, if not always) because there known vulnerabilities in earlier versions of these programs and the newest version addresses these known vulnerabilities.

Of course...for all those who still don't believe in installing critical updates, it won't matter if the update Java, Flash, etc...because they are still vulnerable under older versions of XP and Internet Explorer.

Louis

#15 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

Hello,

I was able to watch a full lenght movie thru Hulu last night without any freezes using Firefox.
Firefox had an earlier version of FP so we updated to the version mentioned by SJesMe. It seems to be working fine.
SJesMe is right about looking for solutions on the Adobe website's forum. No one knows how to fix this issue although a lot of people are complaining about it. Looking forward to an FP update that will actually work. there is always Hope...I also used the FP uninstall program to remove the previous versions and kind of got the same error.
I also update my Java last night to the latest version.
I am hoping that between IE8 and Firefox, the issue will be resolved. Wondering who the winner will be :thumbsup:.
I will leave both browsers on my desktop and alternate...
So far so good...Hoping the same to all the folks that are suffering out there looking for a solution.
SJesMe, you did yourself a favor by joining BC...I am incredibly glad that i joined and have learned a lot from all of the inputs from the different members who have had similar experiences...Rock On BC !!
Sorry if I forgot to mention Netflix... we started using it to watch old tv shows and understand that it uses Silverlight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users