Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP desktop wont boot bios

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cmrisner

cmrisner

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi everyone...I hope someone can help me.

My brother came to me today because his PC stopped booting. Now when he turns on the desktop nothing appears on the screen and the tower makes a single long beep with a long pause and then the beep repeats with this pattern repeating indefinitely.

The PC is an HP Pavillion a6120n. He tells me that he tried updating the driver for the Nvidia graphics card earlier but it failed and he was still able to boot his PC normally several more times until today.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed in diagnosing the problem?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Golden64

Golden64

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

The beep is an error code from the bios on the motherboard. If you can find out what bios your brother has (should be avilable at hp's website) you can google what one long beep stands for specific to that bios version and narrow your diagnosis.

#3 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

How do I figure out what bios version he has if it doesn't boot?

#4 Golden64

Golden64

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

Use his HP model # (HP Pavillion a6120n) at the HP support website. There will be complete documentation of all his hardware there, including bios.

#5 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

The motherboard is an ASUS P5LP-LE (Leonite2-GL8E). I tried a searching for its beep codes but I haven't been able to come up with anythings so far. Any suggestions on sites I might go to or on how to refine my search query so that I get more pertinent results?

#6 Golden64

Golden64

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:42 PM

Took a minute to jump over to hp.com myself he has an Award BIOS.

Googled one long beep for Award Bios got this:

from here: http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/12,12.html
The Award BIOS basically only reports either memory or video problems in its beep codes. Worse, the codes themselves sometimes refer to one OR the other item being the problem, or else it's the motherboard at fault.

Beep code brief:
1 Long Beep: Memory problem

1 long Beep: Memory problem
Something is wrong with the memory installed. Check out the troubleshooting memory problems FAQ for details. Note that there could also be something wrong with just accessing the memory (ie the motherboard has a problem).

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

If you have more than one memory module, Try using one at a time to see if one is bad
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

I think I got it...but apparently this bios has only two error codes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users