Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Crashes when I Right Click Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mtobin2

mtobin2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

A strange problem:

Whenever I right click on an icon (on my desktop or any other folder) Windows Explorer crashes.

Left clicking the files causes no problems. They open normally.

I also experience no problems when right clicking shortcuts, My Computer, or the Recycling Bin.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mtobin2

mtobin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

Is there anyone that can help me with this? I thought maybe system restore would fix the problem, but it hasn't.

#3 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

This problem often occurs after a program or software installation adds something to the Windows "Context" menu (the menu you see when you right click on an item). The problem could be as simple as uninstalling the last program installed or you may have spyware or a virus.

On Windows, when you right click on any item, Windows searches the registry for a list of appropriate items called Shell Extensions. Basically, these are dll files and applications chosen to perform a task for a given item when a user right clicks on it. Depending upon the situation in which you right click, you get a specific list of possible actions you can take - like Send To, Copy, Paste, Rename, ect.

To begin troubleshooting this problem, I need to know what programs you might have installed prior to the problem. Also, have you noticed anything strange about Windows Explorer on your computer - such as taking longer to open files, the "Start" menu button looking hazy when you click it, start menu taking longer to pop up?

I'll help you as much as I can...

#4 VicMJ

VicMJ

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:34 PM

I today just had this same problem. When I did a right click on any desktop icon I got the hour glass and my system was hung. I first booted up in Safe Mode and ran different spy and virus programs but found nothing. I then selected an icon on my desktop while still in safe mode and right clicked on it and it worked okay. I then restarted my system and tried it in normal mode but it hung. I then did a ctl, alt, del to open the task manager. I selected windows explorer, which shows itself as explorer, in the task manager and killed it. Of course everything on your desktop goes away. I then restarted explorer with the task manager and my desktop came back. I now can right click on a desktop item and it works okay. I restarted my system and it still works. Now, does anyone know why? :thumbsup:

#5 VicMJ

VicMJ

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

I used my computer all day with out a problem. Turned it off at 4 PM. I booted up just now at about 7 PM and again have the same problem. My little fix now only works until I do a reboot. Does anyone know what is going on with this problem?

#6 VicMJ

VicMJ

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

Okay,.....again I think I know what caused my problem. Looking back on the last few days I remembered installing a new application on my second or "D" hard disk drive called PDF Converter 6. Today I removed this program using the control panel and restarted my system. Once again everything seems to be working correctly on my desktop. If anything changes or I discover anything new I will post an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users