Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Affiliate links in rotators - do they work?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cyman1964uk

cyman1964uk

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:41 PM

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help me with the following (interesting) problem. Suppose you have an 'affiliate
link' for a program of the type

http://www.program.com/refid=me123

This isn't going to be the EXACT form of these links ... they can take many formats, but you get the
gist from the above and your OWN affiliate name/handle in the above would be me123. It's this bit
that says who is going to get paid when someone signs up using this URL.

If the above link is set up correctly, you can usually 'test' it out a bit for yourself by pretending you
are going to join up and following through to the point that you can confirm that it's YOU who will
get paid. Of course, sometimes, the 'admin' get paid first (or someone else) and so in that case the
test will prove to be useless.

My question concerns the case where I have a number of such links and I include them all in a rotator.
I have done this and found that (for some programs), the actual payee is NOT me when I attempt the
above test when a rotator is used, which makes that URL totally useless to me!!!

A similar thing happens if I use software to try to hide my affiliate number part of my URL using 'cloaking'
software. Again, for some programs, the payee is someone else.

In the cases above, if I try the test with the 'raw' URL (the original one supplied by the program itself),
then I have no problems. So you could say 'Well stick to those then!', which would be a fair comment,
I guess.

I hope I have outlined the issue so that it's fairly clear what the problem is. Has anyone else come
across this? If so, have you found a 'fix' that works?

Yours hopefully,

cyman.

(mod edit: moved to more appropriate forum and removed link that didn't work. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 20 July 2005 - 11:50 PM.

Simon

My Webpage
My Online Storefront

"If you declare that you can create a machine that will peel a potato, he will proclaim it impossible ...
Yet if it peels a potato before his very eyes, he will say it is useless since it cannot slice a pineapple!"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users