Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can connect on one network, but not the other.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AgustusM

AgustusM

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

Hoping someone can find the flaw in my logic, but this one is escaping me.

So I have this Desktop I picked up from a client. Initial problem is it would never boot, Typical of machines today, filled with spyware, viruses and the like. So I brought it to my office did the standard cleanup. After cleanup, windows updates - runs perfectly. On my network it works perfectly.

take it back to their office, works fine, but IE won't connect to any websites. IP address is fine, can ping gateway, dns servers, web sites - just won't connect. Did some basics, renewed the ip, cleared the arp cache, flushed the dns, again it can ping everything - just won't load any websites.

I plug my laptop into the same connection, same wire, same everything and it gets IP from DHCP, gets online, no problem. so that eliminated their network (which I have absolutely no access to since they are getting their connection from the gym that the office connects to) But the fact that the gateway, dns servers, all that are the same and it got in instantly with no changes at all on my part would indicate that the network is not the problem.

So I bring the desktop back to my office and plug it in and of course, it instantly connects. so it can't be any settings on the DT itself.

so to recap:

Desktop is clean can connect on my network but not on their network. which would indicate the desktop itself is fine.

My laptop can connect on their network which would seem to eliminate the network (and any physical layer problems)

I am racking my brain and know I am missing something obvious, but can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users