Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new pop up windows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cakewalk

cakewalk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

Hello,

I'm new registering to this site, but have used it in the past for startup info.

I'm hoping that this is the right forum and that some one may be able to help.

Somehow a very bad program installed itself onto my computer and now I'm having a tough time locating them all (many programs I've learned piggy backed with it). I have DSL so I'm continually connected to the internet whether or not IE is open. I'm thinking that is the reason every 5 minutes a new pop-up window displays itself (internet poker ads mostly) and I can't get rid of them. They come up even if the only thing open is Word. I've ran Adaware, Norton, and since I also have AOL, I've run the AOL scanner too. I've tried to backtrack all the files that were installed (very tough) but a couple still cannot be deleted/uninstalled, apparently Access is Denied to delete. I've done the msconfig and found a half a dozen programs were there at startup, and tracked even more down.

Question then: Since I've tried my best to rid myself of all the download bleep on the computer and the pou-ups still come up, is there a way in IT Tools--Internet Options that will allow one to prevent the loading of a particular page? For example, one that is always popping up is pacificpoker.com. Can I just list it somewhere to prevent it from loading/popping up, or is there a program that will do that? Or is there something else I can do?

It seems I've done everything to rid myself all the malware that was installed, but maybe I've missed something.

Second question: I try to do all the right things when it comes to viewing pages on the internet, opening files and downloading information, and all my spyware and virus protections are updated. So how do these programs sneak in to someone's computer? This last question just expresses my frustration!!!!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:03 PM

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will show you, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.

Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users