Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guide for changing Anivirus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ashutoshrathore

ashutoshrathore

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

Hi, I have had using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.It's a gr8 software.But coz of less RAM and lots of software it slows down my PC extremely.Also it would expires in 4 days.So pls tell me a excellent Antivirus for my computer.
Ashu$
ASHUTOSH RATHORE
Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

Make sure to use Kaspersky total cleanup tool after uninstalling. You must remove ALL traces of ANY previous antivirus application. So visit their site and look for some clean uninstaller or cleanup or whatever words you can think of.

Here's a list of free replacements (of which Avast! and Avira are favorites here, but ignore my preference. It has to be ok for YOU)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by tos226, 20 August 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#3 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

I prefer avira antivir, the free version is great for being free. I tried AVG, but i personally dont like it that much because it isn't that helpful against stronger infections. I don't know why, but i noticed lots of viruses got through AVGs real time protection easily.

If you cant get avira, i would go with avast. They are both good.

#4 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:42 AM

I prefer avira antivir, the free version is great for being free.
If you cant get avira, i would go with avast. They are both good.

Agreed

#5 ashutoshrathore

ashutoshrathore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:44 AM

Hey bro Avira Free is dangerous coz i had installed it but it shows every file on my computer as virus.Iam able to pay so u can also tell me about a Shareware Antivirus
AShu@$
ASHUTOSH RATHORE
Twitter

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:36 AM

How long ago was it that Avira showed all your files as infected?

Do you have any other symptoms of being infected?

It is possible that the results from Avira are accurate as there are viruses out there that really do infect just about every file on your system.

Avira is used by many on this forum and they really like it.

Personally, I use ZoneAlarm and have for years. It is not free but I really like it. Some people have issues with the latest versions but I do not use those. I use the latest of the 7.0 versions

Btw, I do not have a lot of ram on my system either and ZoneAlarm does not slow it down. Often times it is having too many programs loading on startup that slow your system down so you might want to check out what you have starting when the computer boots up and figure out if you really need them to start at bootup.

Edited by Stang777, 21 August 2009 - 04:38 AM.

#7 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:12 AM

From my KAV 9 days I remember getting many tips from Kaspersky user forums, search "speed" or similar. If you really want a suite, have found one you like, why dump it because of what might be a temporary problem. If your computer is very old, slow hd etc. then perhaps you feel slowdown. If at least "newer computer" side-effects should not be so dramatic as you hint. Since Kaspersky I can understand "some" slowdown but dont underestimate settings. Should be modular so dig in. I more or less changed to other AV because of what you say divided by 5. Did feel clumsy at the time but they develop new versions all the time.

You could try Norton Intenet Security Suite 2009 http://www.symantec.com/norton/internet-security They brag about performance "Proven fastest and lightest" so are they correct or not? Worth a trial test if you want a suite.

You still need a "better" firewall if you go free AV? Could try Online-Armor http://www.tallemu.com/free-firewall-prote...n-software.html if on 32bit. About the only firewall that satisfy my inner control freak without making me think it is too much trouble if not silly. Easy to manage and nice GUI. If it bothers you I would guess rest does as well.

Ive used Microsoft Essentials for a couple of weeks now and it runs smoothly, like Avira. You will be happy with it I think - but dont look for processes in Task Manager since ram-usage is a bit high, 70-100+mb. Possible it scales according to amount of physical ram, dont know - I have 4gb. Have some trouble seeing that being a problem unless computer is strangely configured. Some are very hysteric with AV eating resources so perhaps matter of principle. If you are one of those I would suggest NIS2009 again. Whatever free AV and free firewall you pick such a combo will probably be more resouce-intensive than Norton, at lest in Task Manager numbers.

#8 Heafy

Heafy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:42 AM

I would suggest buying Eset's Nod32, not meaning to be a fanboy of some sort. Although NOD32 is the best anti-virus out there.... Throw up some money and download Nod32 Anti-Virus 4, it works great along with just about any other spyware application. It survived the eicar test also. You should try it, it's free for 30 days.
NOD32, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Super Anti-Spyware. Windows Vista 2gb of RAM, 222 hard drive, Dell Inspirion 530.

#9 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

not meaning to be a fanboy of some sort. Although NOD32 is the best anti-virus out there....

:thumbsup:

It survived the eicar test also.

So does every single other AV.

#10 ashutoshrathore

ashutoshrathore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:44 AM

Hey,thx for ur views.I will try both Norton n Avira.I think Avira was correct about my computer.My comp. was badly infected.
Ashu$
ASHUTOSH RATHORE
Twitter

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:26 AM

You should post in the Am I Infected section of this forum. If it is true that the majority of your files are infected, especially the .exe files, it could be that you have the virut virus which will require you to reformat your disk and reinstall your operating system.

You should post in the appropriate section of this forum to find out for sure what virus you have and if it is not that one, they can help you clean up your computer using less extreme measures. Here is the link to it...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users