Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Annoyance/Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tripleblack

tripleblack

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

I posted this some months ago, but do not remember where. The problem stems from Windows XP auto updates, and on about 7 out of 10 boot attempts, I get a black screen, and must reboot. At that time I get the "Menu" which says that "windows did not boot on last attempt, what would you like to do". I pick "start normally" and system boots normally. Bottom line: about 7 of 10 times, I must boot twice in order to start Windows.

Last time, the problem was fixed by disabling XP Auto Updates (which I WILL DO AGAIN!!!!!), and by modifying a certain system/boot file. I don't remember which. I still have the "replacer" program loaded, which replaces a running system file, but don't know which file to use it on. Please refresh my memory.
Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

If you have a windows XP CD at hand then try this...insert the disc go to the recovery console and run the following command in command prompt "chkdsk /p /r" (without the quotes), this will scan for file errors and replace any file or files if found corrupted.

Hope this Helps...

#3 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

If you have a windows XP CD at hand then try this...insert the disc go to the recovery console and run the following command in command prompt "chkdsk /p /r" (without the quotes), this will scan for file errors and replace any file or files if found corrupted.

Hope this Helps...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users