Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zlain

Zlain

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:25 PM

Last night there was a storm and my cable modem and router went out. When I went to restart them they never worked again... My cable modem has all 4 lights lit up as it should and when it is hooked up to the router it even has the productivity light blinking. The router on the other nhand has the productitivity light blinking but none of the corresponding numbers which are hooked up to other comps are blinking... So I thought it was the router, I then hooked up the Modem directly to the PC... Then all 4 lights were lit, but the prodcutivity light was not blinking and the computor still said "a network cable is unplugged" even though it was directly hooked up to the modem. Does anyone know what is wrong? I am using dial-up atm just to try to get some help.

Also I am able to connect to Xbox Live so there is a problem with the comps not recognizing that they are hooked up to the cable modem/router. Does anyone know how to fix that?

I also tried unplugging and restarting everything...

Thanks soooo much in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:23 PM

Start with the cable modem, unplug everything from your side of it and power it off and on again and call the cable provider and verify that they can see your device. They may also be prepared to assist you with troubleshooting the connection with your pcs and/or the router.

Very important... when changing the connections to and from the cable modem you should power it off (wait a few seconds) and back on again and wait for the lights to show that it has aquired the appropriate status again. ie. re-power the cable modem in between testing the PC directly to it and the cable modem.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

If your router is screwed and you want to run your pc directlly to the cable modem, you may have to call your isp to add the MAC address of your computers Network card to your account. Cable isp providers use this way of identifying your pc to the server, not like a pppoe>username and password.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users