Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AAARRGGHHHH! Vanishing Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Studmuppet

Studmuppet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

I had some computer issues over the last few weeks. My Hard © drive crashed and was totally re-built.

Got it back last night, plugged everything in and all was fine. Burned a VCD and enjoyed the disc, went to bed.

When I got up this morning, my External Hard Drive (H) was only showing 32 files, although I have over 232 on the drive. I checked the Disc Space, they're still there, just invisible.

If I move one file (let's say my Beatles music file) to another place (say the C drive) then a formerly invisible file takes its place. It happens in ALPHABETICAL order as well, oddly enough.

Trying to use "Show all Hidden Files" doesn't work, nor does System Restore. Any clues as to what I should do?

BrettJ - appreciating all help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Disk check...move files.

Such signs might be contrued as either a hard drive or file system (NTFS) problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users