Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Start Up Changed and Multiple Errors Ensued!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CatBlue

CatBlue

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Hello, I hope my note finds you doing well. I am running Windows XP SP3.

Previously, when I started my computer it always went directly to my desktop without stopping at a Welcome screen or requiring me to type my username and password, which is the way I like it. For some reason, now the system goes to a Log On to Windows Screen with the blank Username and Password boxes, which are then immediately greyed out and another appears on top of it: Logon Message - The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case.

I clicked OK and my computer went to the logon screen with my name and one other account for a guest. This is a screen I never use, but I clicked on my name (there is no password) and it finally went to the desktop. I thought, Okay, no worries, then I noticed that the Start Button and system tray were missing. As I opened up Internet Explorer I started noticing other problems: I lost the ability to cut and paste in any program, most URL links did not work when I clicked on them, pages sent to my printer no longer printed, I cannot move icons around on my desktop (they are locked even though that is not checked in the desktop properties), I cannot choose different fonts and colors when sending emails or posting to forums, and sometimes simple formatting like making a paragraph does not take effect.

I tried some suggestions I found online like opening Task Manager, File, New Task and running systray.exe, but no change. I tried deleting explorer.exe and then running it again, but still no change. I also noticed that Task Manager no longer listed my name under the User tab. I got access to Control Panel via the My Computer icon, but when I clicked on User Accounts it was empty! I restarted in Safe Mode to see if the stituation was the same and sadly it was: no Start button, no ysstem tray, and all the other difficulties aforementioned still persisted.

I think something has gone awry with the Administrator account and/or password, but with no access to the user accounts I do not know how to fix it. I look forward to your suggestions!

Thank you, kind regards,
Cat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users