Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec malfunction, then start up to black screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 satopi3104

satopi3104

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

Hello potential saviors,

My computer (HP Pavilion dv6700 running Windows Vista) was running without a problem when I noticed that my Symantec icon had a red exclamation point on it. I clicked on it to see that the first of two items (I cannot recall what they were called but they were the two types of protection that Symantec offers) was not working properly. (Side note: My Windows Security Center had been telling me for a couple of weeks that Symantec was reporting in a format that was not compatible with the Security Center, but Symantec itself was telling me that its protections were in place so I ignored the problem).

I tried to fix the problem but Symantec was only giving me the option to click on a button called "Options" and it didn't seem helpful, so I tried going to Windows Security Center to fix the problem there, but then my screen went black and didn't respond to Control Alt Delete or anything else I tried. I forced it to shut down, restarted it in safe mode, opened Symantec and tried to fix the problem but got an error message about my Symantec registration.

I restarted the computer normally and opened Symantec, but now both items were not working. At the top there was a message alerting me to the fact that both forms of protection were not working and there was a button saying "fix now". I clicked on that and nothing happened. I assumed that my computer had not fully started up at that point and clicked "fix now" again after everything seemed to start up. I got a black screen with only my mouse on it and it won't respond to anything. I forced it to shut down again and am now typing this from another computer.

Can someone please help me? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

Get rid of the symantec. It doesn't work right with Vista, (as you can see), no matter WHAT they claim. Same with Norton, of course, since they are the same company and the same crappy results when used with Vista.

#3 satopi3104

satopi3104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Can you suggest a different antivirus? Also, why does my screen go black?

It works in the safe mode but in normal mode, after I log into my computer and the screen loads properly (including everything on my desktop), 5 seconds later, the screen goes black with just my mouse, but then my mouse disappears as well and I get a black screen. It doesn't respond to anything and I have to force it to shut down.

What should I do?

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

Remove the symantec while still in safe mode and see if that does away with your black screen and non responsiveness. you need to use a symantec removal tool to get rid of it though. If you'll tell me what symantec product you use, I'll find out what to use to get rid of it (I think the Norton removal tool works for all Nortons and Symantecs, but I want to be sure before I tell you to use it).

I use the free version of Avast! You can find the free download from the Avast website here. There is a button near the top of the page for the free download. I use it because it was the one that AV I found that didn't interfere with my online gaming lol. Other folks like the free versions of AVG, Comodo, and Kaspersky. Avoid McAffee and Norton/Symantec, they dont' work well with Vista.

#5 satopi3104

satopi3104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

thanks for the info - I wasn't aware Norton/McAfee didn't work with Vista. I unfortunately do not remember more details about Symantec and I can't really find out since I have this black screen problem. This Norton removal tool can be found at the Norton website? Do you know if it's free?

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

I thought you said your computer would work in safe mode. In safe mode you should still be able to get to the symantec folder and see what the product is.

ANyways, here is a link for the Norton Removal Tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users