Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lots of Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redsox25

redsox25

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

I don't know if this is a Vista problem or a hardware problem. Keep in mind all of this seemed to happen over night and at once. So I was visiting my family in New Hampshire. I got on a plane to come home and I put my laptop in the overhead compartment. Because it was to tall to stand it up I had to lay it flat. I'm pretty sure someone shove their bag on top of it and that may be the cause of the issue (or maybe have nothing to do with the problem lol). Anyways the next day I turn it on and vista took minutes to load (doesn't usually take more than a few seconds.) Then when it gets to the pick your user page, it took a good minute to load. Furthermore, when my profile finally logged on, Windows promted me with something like Windows Can't talk to a service please check your system log (next time I log on I'll do a screen shot.) When I looked at my services, the service in question appeared to be running. Then I check my system log and there was some error (error 13, don't remember what it said) that wouldn't let me view it. I read online how to clear it and I did. After I cleared it I could see the log so I figured next time I logged on, I'd see what the problem was. Well I log on again, and that error reappeared. I went to do a system restore, thinking maybe it would bring my system back to how it was before I got home, but got distracted and never did it. Later I went to do it again and my the last restore point it showed me was after the problem existed. Here's another monkey wrench to throw into the equation. When I got back I noticed my fan make a funny sound. It sounded like something was stuck in the way causing it to make a funny sound (think back to when you were a kid and you put that piece of paper into the fan and laughed at the sound it made.) The last time the fan made this noise I noticed smoke coming from my vent area. Generally speaking, my laptop is much hotter than it use to be. Also,I did a virus scan and a mealwear scan. Both came up negative.

All of these problems still exist.I guess my questions are:
Can you pin point the main problem(s)?
Can you suggest any solutions?
Are there any tests that can be done to maybe fix some of these issues?

Edited by redsox25, 19 August 2009 - 08:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

Sounds like the Processor fan and\or the video card fan (if the lap top is equiped with one) has or is failing. If something was laid on top of it as you suggest it is possible the case got squeezed to the point of hindering the fan from running as suggested by the noise you hear.

I would not use the lap top any more until it is looked at and serviced my a knowledgeable Tech. Smoke IS NOT a normal occurance.

#3 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

The good news here is I have had many problems with this computer and this well be the 4th I'll have to return it to Best Buy. Because I have a 3 year service plan and because this is the 4th time I'll have to give it to them to fix, I'll be illegible for a new laptop free of change.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

The good news here is I have had many problems with this computer and this well be the 4th I'll have to return it to Best Buy. Because I have a 3 year service plan and because this is the 4th time I'll have to give it to them to fix, I'll be illegible for a new laptop free of change.

Yep. The "lemon law". Otherwise known as 3 strikes and their out.

Enjoy your new lap top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users