Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron Wont boot XP

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hello all , My Daughter dropped off her lap top the other day and hoped i might be able to do a bit of magic for her.
She was dropping some e-mail the day the system stopped booting.
I'm not a real savvy Tech, by any stretch, but have had my fair share of viruses and what not too tend to but never had a Boot issue, like this before.
The system gives the stem 32 is corrupt or missing as its last dos blip, before trying to reboot. I've try-ed the safe mode and command prompt to no avail.
Last night I down loaded a couple of ISO (disk)boot-ables, to try and search for possible malware that could be causing this.
Even with the boot-ables (Linux) I run into a strange issue.
Both will load ( boot ) then when i select search engines and settings, they start to go threw there warm ups (loading engines) and then stop. Neither will perform a scan.
1)BitDefender rescue will let scan window go away (not minimize). Then still allow me to reselect the scanner and or other apps and files. The whole cycle is readily repeatable. lol

2)Avira rescue will start scanner and its population of needed items, but then stop and do nothing. It no longer responds to and keyboard imputes or mouse clicks, resulting in the need to reboot. Arg

To me all this would point to a hardware issue? But i,m seeing two hands with ten pointer fingers.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Good news, bad news :thumbsup:.

There is a MS fix for your situation, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 BUT you cannot use it (read the Warning section of link).

That being the case, I would say that a repair install would probably be your best bet for repair.

The following procedure for a repair install of XP assumes that user has a Microsoft XP install CD, not reccovery/restore CDs: How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the chat back, i think ? I will check out the fix you mention, only to not be able to use it ? at any rate, the prob seems odd.
i have tried the defender ISO again and again and the scanner just disapears while search engine is loading. arg . I did get root scan to probe and it came out ok, with no offending stuff :thumbsup:.
She has no XP disk to run recovery from, but ive found lots of downloadables that say they can help get past that. There names illude me now but, do you know of one you might suggest
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

Sorry , lots, was a over statement. At least one mentioned the ability using a pick your needed files type of approach. then it would boot and address requested or inserted prompts. oh my.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

You can download the Recovery Console at Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm . Just click on the How To Create A Bootable CD To Access The Recovery Console.

The file you download will be an .iso file. This must then be burned using a program designed to create bootable CDs from .iso files. The program that I use for such is Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm, it's pretty straighforward, IMO.

Once you've burned the bootable CD, then you insert the CD...reboot the system (after changing the boot options so that it will boot from CD, rather than the hard drive).

FWIW: Even though Microsoft says this fix is not recommended for OEM systems, I don't see where trying the fix will put you in a worse position.

Louis

#6 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

Hum? I did as you mentioned above. Down loaded the zip(xp_rec_con), unzipped it to folder, used free easy burn prog to create the boot disk, and inserted it in the dell. I hit f12 while starting, and then selected the cd/dvd boot. I got a flashing underscore for a moment in upper left of a blank srceen, then I get a message that reads, Press any key to boot from cd.. . Ive tried this acouple times with no change in progress. Did i make a bad boot cd? I did press a key after the prompt and the prompt just remains on screen?

Edited by PCwarrior, 20 August 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#7 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

I just tried again, only this time I, pressed enter for boot from cd, and then tapped a key in anticipation of the before mentioned prompt and after a few beeps as the key was pressed, I got a message that reads, Couldnt find NTLDR . Any ideas.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

My error, try this link for the file in .iso format: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso.

Burn, using the program I suggested, to CD.

Louis

#9 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

made it into recovery using a repair disk from my other system, and attempted to follow the instructions at microsofts http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 .
every thing went fine but, when i went to copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system... it was not found? yikes ,any ideas.
did i maybe deleat it or some other foul?

#10 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

well ive all but given up. i read futher in http://www.schrockinnovations.com/preventsys32config3.php . It sounds like this has happened here. Unless i removed the saved file :thumbsup:. Take a look at page four and let me know if you like there idea for backing up system32. Idk alot about the topic but it sounds like a good thing to do.
I found a way to look up a saved config directory in vistas rescue mode, does xp have a way to look up the config system save as well? It might tell me if its still there or if its gone. Maybe it has already told me, buy not finding it during the proccess in microsofts (fix) tutorial?

Edited by PCwarrior, 20 August 2009 - 10:07 PM.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

well ive all but given up. i read futher in http://www.schrockinnovations.com/preventsys32config3.php . It sounds like this has happened here. Unless i removed the saved file :thumbsup:. Take a look at page four and let me know if you like there idea for backing up system32. Idk alot about the topic but it sounds like a good thing to do.
I found a way to look up a saved config directory in vistas rescue mode, does xp have a way to look up the config system save as well? It might tell me if its still there or if its gone. Maybe it has already told me, buy not finding it during the proccess in microsofts (fix) tutorial?

The above does not seem applicable to your situation.

You said: "every thing went fine but, when i went to copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system... it was not found? yikes ,any ideas."

By using/typing "dir" (enumerate the contents of the directory or folder), have a look at the contents of the "windows" folder ...

c:\windows\

to make sure that the "repair" folder actually does exist (Use the Spacebar/Enter key to scroll down the alphabetically arranged list of folders and files). If it is listed there in the Windows folder, continue ...

By using "dir" (enumerate the contents of the directory or folder), have a look at the contents of the "repair" folder ...

c:\windows\repair\

Presumably it will NOT contain a file called "system".
But, is there a file called "system.bak"? If so, that will do just nicely to use instead of "system".

While you are looking at the contents of the "repair" folder, check to make sure the other files that you need are also listed, namely ...
software, sam, security and default.
--------------

If the "repair" folder does NOT exist in your "windows" folder .... >>> go to Plan B ?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#12 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thank you for the incite. I will do as you suggest, some time this weekend(probly today). As you mention Austr, the backing up of system32 isn't real pertinent to the problem at hand, but i have four other PC's that might benefit from having the system32 packed away as a copy, for later system resuscitation, without mutilation. Lol Idk :thumbsup:. I was using microsofts fix, when i noticed Config was not found. Thanks again.

Edited by PCwarrior, 21 August 2009 - 05:34 PM.

#13 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

Ok , i couldn't wait. I pulled up the list and did find Repair. But looking at all the other enteries, it seams odd to have a 0 just infront of it. does that mean no data? well im not sure how to move back to top of list , but i think i have to go back out and type in the second comand you list? oops sorry found prompt at bottom. hehe

Edited by PCwarrior, 21 August 2009 - 05:59 PM.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

Scroll down the list to the bottom and you will find the command prompt awaiting you.

Edited by AustrAlien, 21 August 2009 - 06:02 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#15 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

The last line listed reads- C:\WINDOWS with a forward ^ at the end ? I typed \ repair\dir , and got the command is not recognized? oh your here cool! ive tryed several alterations to the prompt and still get bad message. cant seem to bust in

Edited by PCwarrior, 21 August 2009 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users