Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what's expendible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 one of the 3

one of the 3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

Our Dell Inspiron 6000 hard drive is almost full. We can't even defrag for lack of space. I was looking at removing large, unused programs, but don't know which ones are necessary or expendible. The ones I wonder about are:

Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03

Java™ 6 Update 15

Move Networks Media Player for Internet Explorer

Quick Time

As you might see, I'm not at all aware of what programs do. I just know that our disc is almost full and I'm unaware if we have unnecessary programs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:12 AM

That depends on whther you use any of them :thumbsup:

Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system

This allows earlier versions of Microsoft Office to read the new .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx file formats used in Office 2007 and newer. If you don't have people sending you files with one of those extensions then you can remove this.

Java™ 6 Update 15

These are components of Sun Microsystem's Java Runtime Environment. Many web sites use Java applets and some desktop applications are written in Java. You'll want to keep these.

Move Networks Media Player for Internet Explorer

This program is used by several streaming video sites, like Fox.com, to stream episodes of TV shows to your computer. If you do this and don't want to stop, then keep this installed.

Quick Time

This is Apple's Quicktime Media Player. In my humble opinion it's not necessary and is way over bloated to begin with. I prefer using VLC Media Player which is free, open-source, and plays just about every media file known to the internet.

Another nifty program is called WinDirStat. It will create a graphic map of your hard drive so you can instantly see where the biggest files are and what they're named, etc.

Screenshot:
Posted Image

#3 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:29 AM

May be you should install CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ besides cleaning up it can save install list to a txt-file. Post it here. They offer a toolbar in normal download so if not interested might as well get slim version from here http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds Click Help/Support and take the tour but main feature is simply to clean up temp and no longer used working files from Windows and popular programs. Well also active working files but you decide what to remove. Might want to leave cookies, autocomplete in browsers - history also if you make use of the newer address bars. Not much harm done by ticking all but passwords from logins will have to be reentered. Analyze button does not remove anything, only tell you how much can be removed.

Not sure how valuable Registry section is. Forget that for now, at least until done uninstalling.

So click Tools icon, uninstall button - at bottom right click "Save to text file..." and post it here. Or copy and paste all content into http://pastebin.com/ then click Send and post the url you see in address bar. If list is very long forum looks weird but whatever works.

CCleaner is pretty dumb since it only check fixed folders for some programs so good idea with Windirstat. Lets hope you find a folder with forgotten test-videos. More meat on those than your little list ;)

If eager then go ahead and delete "Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03" very old version from when it installed as a whole new program for each update. Old one not deleted. Now they patch existing files. If you have forced old version to be the active java runtime then perhaps you must go into Java control panel and change it to the newer. Should figure that out by itself since only 1 left but who knows. Jave tab, click view - see pic below. Ive heard some use old Java so they can cheat in online games, only reason to use old.

Posted Image

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:26 AM

Java™ 6 Update 15

These are components of Sun Microsystem's Java Runtime Environment. Many web sites use Java applets and some desktop applications are written in Java. You'll want to keep these.

Actually, with that, you can uninstall Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03 from your computer as it's an older version of Java so long as there isn't anything that is dependent on that version specifically.

http://java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users