Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Doggydog

Doggydog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

I have a 7 year old pc. There were 4 people using this. There was a lot of extra stuff that I have already deleted using the Add/Remove in Control Panel.

I don't really know where to look for stuff as far as how big the hard drive is. All I know is it is a HP a347x.
I run Windows XP and use Firefox as my browser.

I read other threads on OP slow pcs.
I just performed the chkdsk in safe mode.
It was doing its thing and I stepped away when it was 70 percent done and when I returned, the desktop was up in safe mode and the DOS window was gone. So I guess it completed and was ok.

I read on here about going to msconfig/startup and clicking off stuff I don't need. I unchecked Microsoft Office and some camera stuff loaded from the other people that were using it.

I have installed Malwarebytes and checked for updates and ran that today and it found nothing.

I did a defrag on it last week.

I use Spyware X Terminator and ran that and it found an Adware and took care of it. Still slow.

I did install NoScripts and have that on.

When I open click on Malwarebytes I timed it and it took 1.21 minutes for the window to appear. When I first click on Firefox browser it took 1:31 minutes to open. When I open other websites, it loads in sections.

Just need some advice as what to try next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

How much memory installed?

How much hard drive space?

How much free space on C: partition?

To find all sorts of info about your system...Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

To find out about your hard drive size and free space...go to Windows Explorer and look at My Computer...actulally just click on My Computer and it will automatically reflect Explorer.

Louis

#3 Doggydog

Doggydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

I went into msinfo32
Total physical memory 256.00MB
Available physical memory 21.43MB
Total virtual memory 2.0GB
Available virtual memory 1.96GB

Then I went into my computer and right clicked on the C:\ drive and in the properties was

Total Size 69.2GB
Free space 57.0GB

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for that information :thumbsup:.

FWIW: System specs for HP Pavilion a347x: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00043265

You seem to have sufficient hard drive space for XP to run properly. When the free space on the system partition (C:) becomes less than 15-20%, it generally hinders proper functioning.

You only have the orginal amount of RAM installed in the system. Initially, this is no problem for Windows...because there are a minimum number of applictions running on the system. But, as time goes by and more applications are installed (and the same amount of RAM is asked to do more work), the system may become noticeably slower.

MS Office is one of various programs that are RAM-intensive...that means that the program will perform better the more RAM installed.

I take it that you are also running the XP System Restore function.

My suggestion would be (if you intend to continue using this system) to add the maximum amount of RAM which your system supports. That would be 1GB, which today is pretty much the minimum installed in any newer system featuring XP or Vista.

That would mean purchasing 2 modules of the following memory (Crucial.com is a reliable vendor for purchasing additional memory for a system): http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...avilion%20a347x. You would then remove the current memory module installed and replace it with the two suggested.

If that's not feasible, then all that you can do with that system is to continue the steps that you have already taken.

Two minor things I can suggest:

1. Turn off indexing, http://www.pctipsbox.com/turning-off-index...-up-windows-xp/

2. Let XP manage your virtual memory. Virtual memory settings can be found/adjusted by:

a. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER. Alternative method is right-click My Computer, click Properties. Either brings you to correct screen.

b. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.

c. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory click Change.

d. Scroll down to middle of that tab and select System Managed Size...push Set button...push OK to close the box and apply changes.. If System Managed Size is already selected, just close the windows.

If you are prompted to restart, the changes will not take effect until Windows is restarted.

Louis

#5 Doggydog

Doggydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:53 AM

Sorry it took me awhile to get back here. Work.

Thanks for the link and kept it in case I need to know more about this unit.

I loaded Avast on here when Norton expired. It has been really slow since. I could put more Ram in here. Could you give me some links that are great to buy Ram from? Plus, if all you have to do is put the new one besides the old one and turn the unit back on. I think I can handle that!

When I removed MS Office from the Startup, I thought the pc would have at least started Malwarebytes program faster and it didn't.

I do see the D:\ drive but I wouldn't even know what to do with it or if it is doing what it needs to do automatically!

Yes, I would like to add more Ram. I see you knew I needed to find a site for memory!
I know you like helping people here and I really do appreciate it! But, I am paranoid about buying stuff online and need to check it out. You probably have dealt with this company for many years and they might be going through a management phase since the BBB did not like them when I clicked on their BBB Accredited Business at the bottom where their Credit Cards are listed. Tried even to send them that BBB link I got in case they were unaware of it and I could not even find an email address in their Customer Info you have to put it in one of those Forums I guess. So, I went and had to use another company.
I got this one
http://www.kahlon.com/itemdetailpg.asp?itemid=973506

And I need to get 2 of these since I seen that you checked "2" on that Crucial site.

And, I do need to pull out the one I have. That is easy! I don't have to change anything by typing in stuff or clicking on anything if it will boot up in safe mode?

Is the virtual memory what is on the D:\ drive? Well, I did go to Properties when I right clicked on My Computer, I could not find "Advanced" in any of the tabs. I just wanted to see if that System Managed Size was checked. Not that it will really matter much since I am buying Ram. But, I thought for those 6 days while I am waiting for it to arrive, it can be a little faster!

Will be ordering today. Thanks for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users