Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new modem -> firewall problem at startup.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jongira

Jongira

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hi, I'm on windows XPsp3, fully updated. Comcast just installed a new cable modem, the old one finally wore out.

When I boot up now, there is a red shield in the tray to the bottom right indicating that windows firewall was not active. It does activate itself about two minutes or a little more after booting. Boot-up time is sigmificantly slower.

I get this error in the Event Viewer/System Tab:
The server {D6015EC3-FA16-4813-9CA1-DA204574F5DA} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware report no problems, and the HiJackThis log seems clean as well. Running Norton Protection.

The network card is set to a static address, and I did update the manual DNS entries, as they had changed with the new modem install.

No other errors in the Event Viewer.

It's a new problem. Any suggestions? - Thanks, John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Exact error message displayed, please?

Louis

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

If you got a disc with your new modem then perhaps try and reinstall it.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Jongira

Jongira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Exact error message displayed, please?

Louis

Hi Louis thanks for helping. There is no error message, really: at boot-up a red shield icon (Windows security center) appears in the list of icons near the date at the bottom right of the screen. When I click on the red shield icon, it opens the windows security center. The security center highlights the "Firewall" section and says "Windows detects that your computer is not currently protected by a firewall... etc." If I click on the "recommendations" button, it leads to a dialogue to start the firewall, which then starts.

It also starts by itself about three minutes after bootup.

In my original post, I pasted the error from the system event viewer, which says that {some service} did not start in a timely fashion.

Even though those two virus scans came up clean, I'm worried that something is taking advantage of the firewall being down at startup, I'd like to see it start up automatically and immediately, like it has in the past.

Thanks, John

#5 Jongira

Jongira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

If you got a disc with your new modem then perhaps try and reinstall it.

Thanks for the thought. The comcast tech didn't install any driver for the modem, and there is no disc. There is a netgear router between the modem and the computer at any event. And the new modem is twice as fast down and five times as fast up than the old one!

I think the problem has to do more with windows than with the modem... my other computer, VistaUlt64, connects through the router/modem no problem.

Thanks, John

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

Worth a look: http://kb.monitorware.com/event-id-10010-s...ister-t390.html

If you attempt the registry edit spelled out, be sure to heed the warning about registry edits...and backup your registry. A good tool for backing up the registry is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html .

Louis

#7 Jongira

Jongira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

Hi Louis.

Thanks for the reference. I tried various things, so I can't say really which one worked, but I
a) did the registry change
b) did the safe-mode double reboot
c) (from a web search) disabled the network icon in the notification area.
and d) disabled the DCHP service (because my network adapter is configured static)

the "c)" option also solved an "explorer is always in use" problem I was having.

The Red Icon problem (and the event viewer error) hasn't returned in two reboots, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks so much for your help!

- John ;)

Worth a look: http://kb.monitorware.com/event-id-10010-s...ister-t390.html

If you attempt the registry edit spelled out, be sure to heed the warning about registry edits...and backup your registry. A good tool for backing up the registry is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html .

Louis

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

Glad you have seemingly resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users