Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BAD_POOL_CALLER: troubleshooting help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 digitaldraco

digitaldraco

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'm working on a co-worker's system. I'm not sure of the exact tech specs, because it will not boot.

Every thing I have tried, whether I attempted to boot into Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, or a repair install with the Windows XP Home CD has resulted in a BSOD.

The primary error given is BAD_POOL_CALLER, with a STOP: 0x000000x2 (0x00000043, 0xd4a81000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

All the Google search results I've found suggest software solutions that simply won't work because I cannot get this machine to load Windows. :thumbsup:

Would it be possible to get a new HD and load the old files onto it? Is there a more simple/less expensive solution? Or is this beyond repair/recovery?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

So the system won't boot into safe mode?

FWIW: The Bad Pool Caller error is typically 0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER: A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

Manufacturer and system model?

Louis

#3 digitaldraco

digitaldraco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

No, it won't boot into Safe Mode. It gets as far as the Windows logo on a normal boot before the BSOD, and crashes at some point during the loading process for Safe Mode.

It's a custom built system.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

My next step would be to run Memtest on the RAM, if I could get into the BIOS to change the boot order.

BSODs when trying to access safe mode are somewhat rare, I think...unless one or more of the basic boot files is damaged or there is a hardware problem.

Or malware...I see several instances where booting into safe mode is viewed as a symptom of malware.

But let's try the Memtest approach before pursuing the possible malware route.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html . Outdated, but covers basic principles of using any version of Memtest.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso. Download is .iso file which must be burned to CD where it transforms into bootable CD (which can be run regardless of whether system boots or not). To burn the .iso file, you will need a program designed to convert such into bootable CDs...there are many, the one I use is Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm .

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Louis

#5 digitaldraco

digitaldraco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

My next step would be to run Memtest on the RAM, if I could get into the BIOS to change the boot order.

Ran Memtest. No errors.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Let's try the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

Boot into that and see if you can run chkdsk /r.

If that completes successfully, try running the fixboot command.

Also...slave the hard drive to a different system and see if it's properly recognized. If so, the chkdsk /r command can be run from the second system, while the fixboot command cannot.

Might as well also consider changing the CMOS battery, costs less than $5.

Louis

#7 digitaldraco

digitaldraco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:15 AM

Let's try the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

Attempting to access the Windows install via the Console results in the same BSOD.

Also...slave the hard drive to a different system...

The HD is IDE, and my only other system has ATA connectors. I do have the owner's okay to obtain a new HD for his system to back up his files to, if they can be recovered, though.

(Thanks for your continued help!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users