Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC will not boot, can't start from safe mode, can't boot using CD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 orcheon

orcheon

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

I haven't done anything to my computer recently to cause this as far as I am aware. No new hardware, no new software.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition.

My computer boots to the windows splash screen, and a black screen after that. Can't do anything, no cursor, nothing.

My computer can't boot into safe mode--upon trying, it loads the drivers and stops at a certain one.

When I try to access the system recovery console, the system freezes when I go into the console and type 1 and then enter, signifying to use the windows partition (1).

When I try to reformat and set up windows XP, it takes a long time to get to the agreement, and upon acceptance, it locks up.

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pablo49

pablo49

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

Sounds like a failing hard drive. If you have a XP installation disk boot into that, select Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r.

#3 orcheon

orcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

Sounds like a failing hard drive. If you have a XP installation disk boot into that, select Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r.

I must not have been clear enough. I can't--when I try to boot into the recovery console, it locks up once it gets past the initial "which windows installation would you like to use"?

The same thing happens when I try to reformat entirely--it takes a long time even getting to the agreement, but once it does it again locks up while it searches for windows installations.

The system BIOS recognizes the hard drive fine, however.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

I suggest running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (long/extended test) on the drive in question.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#5 orcheon

orcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

I suggest running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (long/extended test) on the drive in question.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

Thanks, doing that now. The program ran a quick test which came back with 0 errors--it's doing a full scan now.

Assuming the problem isn't my hard drive, what else could cause this?

#6 orcheon

orcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

no errors found.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

System manufacturer and model?

IMO, could be a damaged MBR, could be damage to physical hard drive, could be damage to NTFS file system...among other things.

It's good to get a fix on the status of the hard drive, since there aren't many things which will prevent access to the hard drive by the Recovery Console...let alone cause a freeze while trying to access it.

Generally speaking...the BIOS will recognize a hard drive (that's properly connected) unless it's totally dead.

But the fact that XP seems to have a problem recognizing/accessing the drive...is a better indicator of a problem, if not exactly a clear path to what the problem is.

Louis

#8 orcheon

orcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

System manufacturer and model?

IMO, could be a damaged MBR, could be damage to physical hard drive, could be damage to NTFS file system...among other things.

It's good to get a fix on the status of the hard drive, since there aren't many things which will prevent access to the hard drive by the Recovery Console...let alone cause a freeze while trying to access it.

Generally speaking...the BIOS will recognize a hard drive (that's properly connected) unless it's totally dead.

But the fact that XP seems to have a problem recognizing/accessing the drive...is a better indicator of a problem, if not exactly a clear path to what the problem is.

Louis

Built the system myself, and upgraded it about 4 months ago(with a new processor, RAM and motherboard). It's been running smoothly. I actually didn't reformat when I rebuilt it, which i'm thinking was a huge bleeping mistake. Last complete wipe was about 11 months ago.

The specs are--
160GB Western Digital Hard Drive
Biostar TA790GX-XE Motherboard
AMD 4x 2.6 GHz processor
Gskill 2gb x2 ram
Nvidia 7800 GTX Graphics card
500W Earthwatts PSU

The Western Digital Diagnostics found no errors in the extended test. I don't have any vital information stored in this computer--it's used primarily for gaming and college, but I'm between semesters so I wouldn't be losing anything vital.

I was actually ready to reformat it earlier but I wasn't able to do it from the install CD--should I proceed with a reformat using Western Digital's "Write Zeros to Drive" function from their tool?

Edited by orcheon, 19 August 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

Well...since you have an XP CD, let's not format anything yet.

I'm kind of mystified by the fact that the drive passes the extended test...yet the RC cannot access the drive.

Go into the Recovery Console...and try to run the fixmbr command.

Write down and post any error message that appears.

Louis

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

That many upgrades and the system still booted and ran?

Have yet to see that many upgrades, usually requiring new drivers at the very least, function properly without a fresh install.

I`m guessing a driver conflict of sorts has finally reared it`s ugly head and a fresh install will be by far the best fix.

Edited by ThunderZ, 19 August 2009 - 09:02 PM.

#11 orcheon

orcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

That many upgrades and the system still booted and ran?

Have yet to see that many upgrades, usually requiring new drivers at the very least.

I`m guessing a driver conflict of sorts has finally reared it`s ugly head and a fresh install will be by far the best fix.

Oh, no, I put in new drivers and removed any trace of the old ones.

Well...since you have an XP CD, let's not format anything yet.

I'm kind of mystified by the fact that the drive passes the extended test...yet the RC cannot access the drive.

Go into the Recovery Console...and try to run the fixmbr command.

Write down and post any error message that appears.

Louis

I cannot access the recovery console. When it asks me which windows partition I which to access(where I press 1 and then enter), it freezes and shows nothing more.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

Oh, no, I put in new drivers and removed any trace of the old ones.

Sorry. Windows is just not that forgiving.

Tried basically the same thing myself once. It worked, but with multiple malfunctions and missing features. One that sticks in my mind is the advanced power management. I played, tweaked, add`d, removed, updated till my fingers bled on the keyboard.

After all was said and done a fresh install finally fixed it all. Would have saved a lot of time if I`d just bit the bullet, nuked and repaved in the beginning.

Edited by ThunderZ, 19 August 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:11 PM

That just doesn't make sense to me.

The only thing I can suggest...is to remove the hard drive and connect it to any known-good, protected, working system as a secondary drive.

See if the other system recognizes it properly, is able to able to access it, is able to properly reflect contents.

If so, run chkdsk /r on the drive from that system.

Louis

#14 orcheon

orcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have any other good systems on hand besides my laptop.

Going to nuke it and see what happens--i'm not losing anything important anyway.

#15 orcheon

orcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

Finished nuking it using the Western Digital utility--was able to access the windows install screen that I wasn't able to prior to that. My best guess is a corruption in the NFTS file system, but i'm actually completely clueless as to what caused this.

Formatting the new partition, thanks for the quick help today. If anything else happens, i'll come back here.

Edited by orcheon, 19 August 2009 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users