Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WI-FI Protection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

Hi,
I'm at an airport, coffee shop or other public hotspot that offers free wireless internet access.
What security protection software would you recommend for WI-FI that would make it difficult for hackers to steal my data?

Preferrably freeware please, but am willing to pay for something good.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:07 PM

Sadly, most hotspots operate as open access points. That is to say they don't employ WPA, WPA2, or even WEP (sidenote: WEP is broken beyond repair; never use it because it is not secure in the least) encryption of the wifi signal. Anyone within range of the signal can pickup the data being sent across the network, and it's trivial to sniff out passwords and such if they are sent in the clear. Never, ever, ever log into sensitive accounts from a public wifi network unless the connection is encrypted at the protocol level (HTTPS) and even then I'd question whether I really needed to log on right then and there.

As to people being able to access data on your computer that isn't being broadcast through the wifi connection, a decent software firewall should do the trick. You can find a good freeware firewall at Bleeping Computer's list of Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps.

#3 Heafy

Heafy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

Hi,
I'm at an airport, coffee shop or other public hotspot that offers free wireless internet access.
What security protection software would you recommend for WI-FI that would make it difficult for hackers to steal my data?

Preferrably freeware please, but am willing to pay for something good.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

What he said, along with a good anti-virus with an active shield running (Like NOD32) and with something like spybot or Malwarebytes. You can be safe.
NOD32, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Super Anti-Spyware. Windows Vista 2gb of RAM, 222 hard drive, Dell Inspirion 530.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users