Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

optimal performance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dczesak

dczesak

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

I have an dell inspiron 6000. I have reinstalled windows xp and wiped my hard drive. I used intsructions I had rec. from this forum last year. As recommended I partition it into a c drive and a d drive
c: 25 gb ntfs healthy
d:49gb health

I don't run many program, just the following which are located on the c: drive
windows
avira
malwarbytes
ccleaner
pcdecrapifer
spywareblaster

itunes
picasa

I have an external 160gb hard drive that I store my music and pictures on which leaves the d: drive empty. My question is , does this configuration give me the best performance? or should I get rid of the d drive? or should I move all programs other than windows to the d drive.

I mainly use my computer for internet, email, picture and music storage.

Edited by dczesak, 19 August 2009 - 02:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

I guess I have to ask...just what is meant by "optimal performance"?

As for getting rid of the D: partition...I see no improvement coming from such. The result would be a larger C: partition (assuming that you will merge the two) or unallocated space. Neither of those would do anything positive for the system, in fact...increasing the C: partition's size would just make it take longer to do basic maintence operations (chkdsk and defrag) with no positive impact.

I have always thought that...moving programs to a separate partition other than the C: partition...is a bill of goods which have been sold to some users. The default install for most/if not all programs...is on the C: partition, along with Windows. It seems to me that the system...has to operate slightly better if the programs are where the O/S expects them to be...but I've been wrong in my thinking before :thumbsup:.

Best advice I can give about such: Take a quick survey (of sources that have credibility) using Google and see what they have to say about such things. "Credible sources" are not defined by opinions voiced by those (like me) with nothing but the willingness to express their thoughts, whether such have substance or not :flowers:.

Louis

#3 dczesak

dczesak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the input. When I say optimal performance I guess I mean speed.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

By far...the cheapest way to maximize system speed is to install more RAM/memory.

How much is currently installed?

2GB seems to be the maximum installable, http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...Inspiron%206000

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=a...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis

#5 dczesak

dczesak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

I only have a half but system runs well. I can only upgade " according to dell" to 1gb. I am thinking of the 1g ram upgrade w/ a 250 g hard drive. Which would cost $100 if I install it myself, but my computer is 4 years old. I do all the up keep you all talk about so it runs well, but not sure if I should upgrade,or just stay as is w/ the external hard drive till this system dies then get a new one and pass this down to the kids???

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

Who...is selling you what...for $100?

You don't have to take anyone's word for RAM maximum...just look at your system specs.

Buying a new computer...is just like anything else...if you have the money and don't need (the money)...you can be whimsical.

If you don't have the money and cannot afford whimsical purchases...make the right decision.

My take on external HDs...they are overrated as storage media because they tend to cost more than just another hard drive attached to the motherboard and they add 1 additional (maybe 2) layers of potential failure to accessing data.

1. The enclosure which actually contains the hard drive.

2. The power supply for said enclosure.

I find it easy to just use a regular hard drive...in the same manner that some use externals. I connect it when I need to access it, I remove it when I don't. Or I just allow it to stay connected, same as those external drives that have no OFF switch. I get more storage capacity, cheaper.

Louis

Edit: Remember that I don't have to make sense with my choices, I just have to live with them :thumbsup:.

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2009 - 07:04 PM.

#7 dczesak

dczesak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

Item Number Quantity Item Description

A0743707 2 1 GB Module for Dell Inspiron 6000 System $45.98
* -DISCOUNT/COUPON APPLIED

341-7743 1 250GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive, 7200RPM, for Dell Vostro 1310/1510/1511 Customer Install $59.99

Subtotal: $105.97
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Tax: $7.15
Environmental Disposal Fee: $0.00

Total Price w/Discounts:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Did you read that Crucial.com link I posted?

I could get 2 RAM modules for the price you are willing to pay for 1.

As laptop hard drives go...any 2.5-inch SATA drive ought to do. There's nothing special about the Dell hard drive that makes it superior to any other laptop hard drive. There's no logical reason to believe such...but it's optional behavior.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&name=250GB

Louis

#9 dczesak

dczesak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I wish I could get 2g of ram but I've been told I can only have 1g on this computer right now I only have a half G. I guess If I upgrade the hard drive I'll have to reinstall windows and all other programs?

#10 dczesak

dczesak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Looks like the newegg drives are more exp. than the dell drives? What would make one better over another?

#11 dczesak

dczesak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

Looks like the newegg drives are more exp. than the dell drives? What would make one better over another? What do the other numbers mean in the hard drive description mean. Do the hard drives have diff. speeds? Which woulgd the best be? The dell quote for ram is for 2 , 1G modules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users