Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie looking for suggestions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 prospero

prospero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:24 PM

Hello. I'm new here at this discussion group so excuse me if I seem very stupid. I'm using Windows XP on a P4 computer with 256 meg RAM
1) I've had trouble installing and using two commercial antivirus products: McAfee VirusScan, and CA ezAntivirus (in ezArmor). I would like to hear if either of these two products are worth the effort. Is there another product that is better? I'm currently using AntiVir v.6.27 (freeware)

2) Using Stinger I repeatedly get messages about Qhost.apd.trojan. Stinger tells me it repairs this, but I've seen the same alert a couple of times now. What is this and do I need to do anything about it?

3) My computer will spontaneously open a DOS window titled citi.exe along with a Windows alert telling me Windows will not run this program. Does anyone know what this is? and what should I do about it?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:01 PM

Welcome to Bc. Mcafee is good.......Sorry cant help you on the rest someone else here will though!

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:47 AM

This is the one that I use. Free home version. Automatic updates, virus alerts, and much more. .....http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html.....Sorry about the non clickable link. You will need to copy and paste. As you can see it is (was) early. My brain was not functioning properly. Lol Anyway a very reliable program. And , Welcome to B.C. ! :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 09 September 2004 - 03:11 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:35 AM

Avast! Antivirus :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 09 September 2004 - 07:37 AM.

Posted Image

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:44 AM

There you go scarlet!

Have you tried trend micro online as a virus thing? That is what I use its always updated and free!

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:18 AM

Yes Trend Micro is fine. An online scanner is a great way to double check. But you need a Anti Virus program running on your system at all times. As far as the other things you mentioned. Wait for the Big Guns to reply. 'Cuz I am no help there. :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 09 September 2004 - 08:25 AM.

Posted Image

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:55 PM

I recommend AVG antivirus. It is good and it is free, and seems to work on almost all configurations. Relying on an on-line scanner as you AV will not protect you from getting malware, only identify or remove it; a resident, updated AV that scans downloads is an absolute must for any user.
Whichever application you decide to use, besure the definitions are current by updating it, then run it and see what it finds. I would also suggest you download, update, and run a good spyware removal applications, such as Spybot Search and Destroy and/or AdAware.

I have no idea what the Stinger program is or does. Here is a link to various sources about Qhost:

http://www.virus-trojaner.de/virus-trojaner/Qhost.php

You need to take active measures to get it off your system.

I have searched several databases, and none of the mention citi.exe. This may well be a trojan or some other malware. Maybe someone else can come up with more on this.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:29 PM

Here are two excellent online scanners as well:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:28 AM

Are you 100% sure that the DOS Window is titled....citi.exe? I can not find any reference to it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users