Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 palmer2000e

palmer2000e

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

Ok I bought a refurbished dell desktop just to have at home about 6 months ago.. It worked perfectly fine for about 2-3 months. Then when I tried to go on the internet one day it would not work. No internet browser, no instant messenger, my virus scan said no internet connection detect, etc.. I decided to ignore it basically and just used my laptop for internet the past 3 months or so and sparingly used the desktop for other things like music and such. But now I would like to get it back to working fully, as this is its only problem...

The computer says it is connected on the bottom task bar. I just use an ethernet cord connected directly to my router, which has 2 other connections running through it perfectly fine. No wireless card installed on it at all. When you go to the status of the connection it says connected but it also say 0 packets sent or received. The ethernet cable is fine, and i have tried others that I know work fine but that didnt do anything. The orange light where I plug the ethernet cord in is on so I would believe that means that the modem thing is working...

Does anyone have any sort of help or possible solutions for me...? Thanks in advance, and if you need further info just let me know... As I completely clueless on what could be the problem, and im hoping its not something serious because it came pretty much outta nowhere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

Have you enabled DHCP for your Ethernet connection?

See this on how to configure DHCP for Windows XP : http://www.ehow.com/how_5072525_enable-dhcp-windows-xp.html

If your ISP does not allow DHCP, you may have to manually configure IP address and DNS server settings for it.

#3 palmer2000e

palmer2000e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

Have you enabled DHCP for your Ethernet connection?

See this on how to configure DHCP for Windows XP : http://www.ehow.com/how_5072525_enable-dhcp-windows-xp.html

If your ISP does not allow DHCP, you may have to manually configure IP address and DNS server settings for it.

It was already configured the way that how to showed... So im assuming that is ok... Whats next?

#4 palmer2000e

palmer2000e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

also i should mention... I just tried to repair the connection, and it says Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot Proceed.

Dont know if this is of any help in pin pointing the problem

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Open Start Menu > Run, type cmd and press Enter. This would open command prompt window.

In the command prompt, type ipconfig /all and press Enter.

Paste the information you see here.

#6 palmer2000e

palmer2000e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

Open Start Menu > Run, type cmd and press Enter. This would open command prompt window.

In the command prompt, type ipconfig /all and press Enter.

Paste the information you see here.

An Internal error occurred: The request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

when typing in ipconfig /all into the command prompt

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

In the command prompt type this :
copy %windir%\system32\dllcache\tcpip.sys c:\
You would see that 1 file got copied.

Now boot using your Windows XP CD into Recovery Console.
(See how to boot into Recovery console using XP CD http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654 )

In the recovery console, type this :
chkdsk /r
del c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
copy c:\tcpip.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
exit

Back into Windows, open command prompt and type this:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Restart your computer and tell us what happened.

#8 palmer2000e

palmer2000e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

In the command prompt type this :

copy %windir%\system32\dllcache\tcpip.sys c:\
You would see that 1 file got copied.

(See how to boot into Recovery console using XP CD http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654 )

In the recovery console, type this :
chkdsk /r
del c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
copy c:\tcpip.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
exit

Back into Windows, open command prompt and type this:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Restart your computer and tell us what happened.

Alright...

1st step, copying in cmd prompt worked fine...

Then however while trying to install recovery console as directed in the link you provided... After inserting my windows xp recovery disc, I click start>run and type in the d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons . which brings up a windows dialog box saying "no valid system partitions wer found. set up is unable to continue."

I then tried the other script it has listed... d:\amd64\winnt32.exe /cmdcons and a dialong box to this affect appears "D:\amd64 refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on hard drive or on a network. Check to make sure disc is properly inserted."

So I was unable to install the recovery console on my computer. So no progress thus far unfortunately

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

I did not want you to install Recovery Console, I wanted you to boot into Recovery Console using CD.

Go to the Microsoft link and scroll down and read this portion : How to use the Recovery Console
Also in the same article read this : How to use the Recovery Console command prompt

#10 palmer2000e

palmer2000e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

I did not want you to install Recovery Console, I wanted you to boot into Recovery Console using CD.

Go to the Microsoft link and scroll down and read this portion : How to use the Recovery Console
Also in the same article read this : How to use the Recovery Console command prompt

Im sorry, I seem to be having some difficulties getting to the recovery console... The guide say to start xp from the cd drive and cant seem to do that, i even went to the boot menu after powering on and set it to start from the cd and it just starts up normally... is that what is suppose to happen? Basically Im just not sure how to get to the recovery center

thanks in advance

#11 palmer2000e

palmer2000e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:28 AM

Sorry nevermind...

I have just re-installed windows xp entirely and that seems to have fixed everything

Thanks for your help

This thread may be closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users