Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Halfway Decent PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IMADOME

IMADOME

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:47 AM

Ok so this is going to be kind've a long post lol so bare with me. I went to best buy and bought an out of the box gateway computer (i know i know big mistake) but this was the specs:
windows vista 32 bit
amd phenom 9500 QUAD CORE 2.2 ghz
3gb ddr 2 ram
gateway motherboard
onboard sound
onboard video
500gb hard drive.
gateway power supply

ok so whatever its a decent computer you can watch youtube videos with.Iive been updating it lately and it now has these specs:

amd phenom 9500 QUAD CORE 2.2GHZ
3.5gb ddr2 ram
gateway motherboard
onboard sound
nvidia gforce 9800gt sli 1gb ram (overclocked gpu)
500gb hard drive
thermal take 450w power supply.

ok so the adding of ram, power, and video card. I now have wat id describe as a better than the average joe computer, but not quite hacking the pentagon from my basement type stuff lol.
anywayz, i like to play alot of flight simulator x which if anyone knows is quite the resource hogging program. i only have graphics and preformance and weather turned up about 1/2 and with no add on programs like complex scenery, or weather, and i still get an undesireable frame rate, not unplayable just not ..."smooth" so im going to upgrade again ...but im a little confused...

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I NOW GIVE YOU THE FEATURE PRESENTATION OF THIS POST (LOL)

Ok so im thinking my problem is the factory mother board...probably got crappy frontside bus...or maybe another .5 of ram who knows...thats where i need help....I mean how easy is it to just slap a new motherboard into your stock gateway case and hook all the existing equipment up to it.. I know you have to buy one to match the pins on your processor but is that all ? Where can i go on my comp to see the pin count/config of my processor...and when i go to a website how can i see if the motherboard will fit into my case? and does anyone have a website to suggest buying custom parts from. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanx!!

Edited by IMADOME, 19 August 2009 - 04:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hey uradome: :thumbsup:

The name and type of processor should tell you the specifications on that. Quad core is not shabby.

If it is a 32-bit system, adding another .5Gb of memory will not help. 32-bit systems only see about 3.3GB of the 4GB that I have in mine.

To change a motherboard is not the simplest thing for a newbie. Will it fit in your case? Will it require a reinstall of the OS (probably)? Is it compatable with everything else?

I am not very familiar with what is needed in order to play some of these new games but from first look, the system doesn't look too bad. (but then, its a Gateway)

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users