Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange M shaped graphics artifacts on screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:21 AM

Have a problem that's been plaguing me for a few days:

I have a Evga 8800 GTS card. It is (well, was...) awesome, runs practically everything, and doesn't lag unless I set a uber graphically intense game on max graphics, then it gets a little laggy (and it might just be the fact that I have a crappy CPU). I've had this card for a year. A few months ago, this funny graphics glitch happened, where some m shaped artifacts would pop up on the screen, and then the screen would flicker black for a second as the graphics crashed and came back (or so Windows says). Rebooted, and it was still there, so I figured "eh, must be the drivers", and so I reinstall the drivers. Problem solved, and I forget about it until it happened again about a few weeks later. Reinstalled the drivers again and dismissed it as "eh, it's a beta OS (Win 7), something's bound to be a little screwy". It kept happening every once and a while and a driver reinstall fixed it.

Well it happened again Sunday, and as an added bonus the computer crashed (0x00000116). Quick driver reinstallation and a reboot, problem's still there. Next thought is that it might be overheating, so I power it down, open up the case, and blow everything out with a can of air. A quick reboot later, and... crap. It's still doing it. Safe mode? Hey, it works again. Looks like crap though. Windows reinstall? Still does it. I end up calling a buddy, since Google doesn't seem to be pleased with me at the moment, and: "Wow, that sucks. Idk, try installing a different OS maybe?" Quick install of Vista later and... nope, graphics are still screwed up.

At this point I'm thinking "damn, it must be the card". I try with a Ubuntu live CD for good measure, and it's not as bad, but it's still doing it. I reinstall Windows 7, problems still there. I ask the Google gods for guidance again, and finally find someone with a problem identical to mine. Prognosis?

99.9% chance you are getting a new gfx card for christmas

Well, crap. I end up emailing EVGA, to which they reply "yeah it's broke, apply for an RMA and we'll get that fixed up for you". Guess what? They declined the RMA. I ended up deciding to just use my old card for now, but while I was taking the card out I saw the 4 pin molex to PCI-E adapter, and thought "wow, that looks like a piece of crap". I took the adapter off and pulled the cable out of the PSU, and plugged a PCI-E power cable into the PSU. Guess what? It works again finally, I use it for a while, and don't see any problems. I take the machine into the living room to watch some TV shows (I'm too cheap for a separate media center :thumbsup:), and.... the artifacts are back. Now, they're not as BAD as they were, before the computer was pretty much unusable, it works now, but the artifacts are still there, and the screen flickers occasionally, and it's freaking annoying.

Here's what the graphics glitch looks like:
Posted Image

Short version:

Weird graphics artifacts showing up that makes the graphics crash, and weird "m" shaped artifacts show up. Computer eventually crashes (0x00000116).
Reinstalling drivers does nothing.
Reinstalling OS does nothing.
Using different OS does nothing.
Replaced the power cable linking the card and the PSU, and it fixed itself, but then I moved the computer and it's doing it again, just not as bad.

Equipment:
700w Raidmax PSU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB (Evga)
Windows 7 Ultimate (RC1) 64 bit

If anyone knows what's going on with this and if it can be fixed... well you'd be my hero :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 infinity92

infinity92

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

try checking it's temperature using speedfan and see if it's very hot.

#3 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Ok, here's the temps:

GPU: 56C
CPU: 23C
HD0: 27C
HD1: 28C

All after booting and browsing the web for a few minutes.

EDIT: GPU temp seems to top out at 64 while idling

Edited by madman6510, 19 August 2009 - 02:54 PM.

#4 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Ok, I've raised the GPU fan speed, and opened up the case and pointed a nice big fan at it for good measure. GPU temp is idiling at a nice 47C and still falling. Don't see any artifacting yet, but it's been on and off, only time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users