Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is trend micro pc-cillin included in xp pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

I just did a clean install of xp pro and am seeing trend micro and pc-cillin folders in the registry. I also have folders called HC Backup and HouseCall in documents and settings/ local settings/temp folder. I ran ccleaner and it found and deleted a dozen or so items related to housecall. Trend Micro or HouseCall or PC cillin does not show up as an installed application in control panel/ add or delete programs. I have already installed my favorite applications but did not install trendmicro. It this part of xp pro? Can I just delete the registry folders without doing any harm to the rest of the registry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

Windows XP does not include any third party software. However many, many, many OEM dealers (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) include trialware and crapware on computers they sell with Windows. They get money for this from the crapware maker. More often than not, these crapwares are included on the customized Restore CD or recovery partition that the OEM gives you to reinstall Windows with.

Though I don't know why only the registry entries and temp files were restored, unless the reinstall you performed was not actually a reinstall but a "refresh" wherein nothing is actually deleted except the Windows system files which are then reinstalled from the CD/partition.

#3 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

Is it safe to delete these folders found in the temp folder as well as the registy keys just by right clicking and delete?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users