Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Always on Internet connection.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Hello everyone!

I do not know if this was discussed before or not. I finally got High-speed internet access. It is through the cable company. The internet modem is conected to my computer. Then the modem is conected to another box and then to the cable company servers. It is an always on type setup. Except my computer, I turn that off.

My question is How can I keep all the bad stuff from getting through and getting onto my computer? I have McAfee Security Suite which came with the computer from the manufacturer, SUPERAnti-Spyware Free, and Spybot S&D Free. Is there anything else that I need or can do to keep safe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:44 AM

Take a look at these:
Best Practices Internet Safety
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the internet
Hardening Windows Security
Configuring Internet Explorer for Security
How to Set Security Options in the Firefox Browser
Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

Edited by tork, 19 August 2009 - 06:57 AM.

#3 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

Hello everyone!

I do not know if this was discussed before or not. I finally got High-speed internet access. It is through the cable company. The internet modem is conected to my computer. Then the modem is conected to another box and then to the cable company servers. It is an always on type setup. Except my computer, I turn that off.

My question is How can I keep all the bad stuff from getting through and getting onto my computer? I have McAfee Security Suite which came with the computer from the manufacturer, SUPERAnti-Spyware Free, and Spybot S&D Free. Is there anything else that I need or can do to keep safe?

McAfee + SAS would work good. However, i would switch out spybot for malwarebytes anti malware. There isnt much point in having spybot when you have superanti spyware.

#4 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:29 PM

Since new to fast internet may be you become overwhelmed. Too many links, ads perhaps. Adblock Plus for Firefox and subscription to Easylist take care of ads - and then you can pretend internet is really not so bad ;) About security and internet you could supplement scanners with WOT http://www.mywot.com/ Dont know if you already use Mcafee Siteadvisor? I think WOT is way better. Has a nice plugin letting you decide how it should work. Click around their site if interested.

Spybots Immunization is minimal blocking of sites, cookies and such - more or less of no value. Better than nothing but not as good as better tools :thumbsup: WOT is like x1000 more important in comparison. You can keep S&D, also if you install Malwarebytes, but turn off resident protection. For more than one reason. If you uninstalled Mcafee then reinstalled S&D would be terminated since they claim compatibility problems. One must go. Official reason not to use at least resident parts. If not sure check, enable Advanced mode in Mode menu. Click Tools, then Resident - untick both options and S&D wont bother Mcafee.

Dont know what boxes you have but if any of them is a wireless router you can probably improve security by changing password from default, use better encryption. See this forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

Edited by Bambo, 20 August 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:53 AM

As long as the McAfee on your system includes a firewall, which I assume it does since it is a suite, you should be fine with what you have.

I like the immunization feature in Spybot and use it but do not like or use the TeaTimer feature but if you do, and are only using the free versions of SuperAntiSpyware you should be fine to keep it enabled. That holds true if you get Malwarebytes too, as long as it is the free version, there is not real time protection. You should however, turn off the TeaTimer feature when you run scans with the other security programs.

I use all three of those programs on my system and even though I am always connected to the internet, since I have a cable connection and leave my computer on 24/7, I feel well protected, but that is mostly because of my av/fw as that is the only real time protection I use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users