Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Search results redirected

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_KMhaeye_*

Guest_KMhaeye_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:32 PM

Whenever I do a Google search, the results that I click on are redirected to other sites. I've found and removed several trojans and malware, including Windows Antivirus Pro, but I'm still having problems with search results being redirected.

AVG anti-virus no longer finds anything suspicious, as well as Malwarebytes Anti Malware and SuperAntiSpyware.

I'm running Windows XP Home.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:52 AM

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
alternate download link
Note: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on the randomly named file to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Guest_KMhaeye_*

Guest_KMhaeye_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hey, sorry for the slow reply. So much going on....

My adapter is broken so it turned off during Safe Mode. It found some items, but I don't know if the scan was completed and logged.

And I can't find the log that I'm supposed to post.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

Any improvement?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Guest_KMhaeye_*

Guest_KMhaeye_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

Nah, not at all.

I just did a google search of Michael Jackson and clicked the search result "michaeljackson.com" and was redirected to something else.

Plus I was hit with the Windows Antivirus Pro this morning. Got rid of that with Malwarebytes Anti Malware but I still can't get rid of the redirecting issue.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

Try this scan:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Guest_KMhaeye_*

Guest_KMhaeye_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

I can't now, because my computer won't start in Safe Mode.

Malwarebytes found and removed something, but I still can't get it to go to Safe Mode.

I'm still having problems with redirecting, even when I run MBAM, and everything else.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

Run this scan. Skip the part where it says to boot into Safe Mode and just run it in Normal Mode.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Guest_KMhaeye_*

Guest_KMhaeye_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:33 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 09/03/2009 at 10:52 PM

Application Version : 4.27.1002

Core Rules Database Version : 4085
Trace Rules Database Version: 2025

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:30:48

Memory items scanned : 469
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5879
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 83936
File threats detected : 0

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:06 AM

Open SUPERAntiSpyware. Go Preferences > Repairs tab > scroll down to and select "Repair broken SafeBoot key" > click "Perform Repair. The see if Safe Mode will work.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Guest_KMhaeye_*

Guest_KMhaeye_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

I have a new set of problems that popped up overnight:

-cant open iexplorer or firefox
-cant boot in safe mode
-cant access task manager, "disabled by administrator
-fake windows protection keeps popping up with security alends
-cant run Malwarebytes
-cant run superantispyware

AVG is the only thing I can run right now and it has 8 Win32/Cryptor virus threats so far.

#12 Guest_KMhaeye_*

Guest_KMhaeye_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

Annnnnnd now it will not boot at all. I'm stuck at the black screen that has the "safe mode" options and last known good configuration. No matter which option I choose, it comes back to this screen.

And I don't know where the disc is that came with my computer to uninstall and reinstall

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

What model computer do you have?

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 Guest_KMhaeye_*

Guest_KMhaeye_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

Compaq Presario V5000.

I performed system recovery. I can see all anitvirus and antimalware stuff on my desktop, but I do not know how/if I can recover all my data. The folder of the username that I had before is empty and access is denied.

This is probably a whole new problem that requires a topic elsewhere. I'd greatly appreciate any assistance with this, but if the ride stops here, thanks for your help :thumbsup:

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:18 AM

Try "taking ownership" of that directory:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users