Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Found Downloader Ajent

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

Working with my mail file My AVG Alert "Resident Shield" popped up !

I am trying to get some information on this ?

I queried the AVG site, it asked for the name , I used Down Loader Agent, and got this;

We did not find any virus in the Virus Encyclopedia. Please try to use a more generic name at least 3 characters long.

Does anyone know what this is or what it does, has it been running around inside my PC ?

Posted Image

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

I have several question concerning this incident, the first is, this mail has been on file for sometime, (how long will the list of reasons for why this hasn't been detected before be ?)

This item was found as I was moving mail from OE Box to folder file, I did not open it, as it indicates, my AVG is suppose to scan mail when it arrives, so the detection program in this case was resident shield, how does that work ?

Unrelated question, when AVG detects and remove tracking cookies are these the same cookies that are found in the privacy box of options,(Firefox), . . Show Cookies Column ?

Edited by Jove, 19 August 2009 - 08:41 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

Submit C:\Documents and Settings\Jp]Desktop\Ne Mail\Misc. to one of these sites

Anytime you come across a suspicious file for which you cannot find any information about, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to

Jotti's virusscan
or
VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.

Unrelated question, when AVG detects and remove tracking cookies are these the same cookies that are found in the privacy box of options,(Firefox), . . Show Cookies Column ?

Not always

A couple of other programs the do a good job with cookies are ATF, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

Garmanma,

As always, thanks again for your conscientious, willing-generous and time-consuming, efforts to keep our peace of mind, and intelligence in tact.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:55 AM

But Jotti found nothing and the other was inconclusive or did not complete the scan after 20 minutes or so,

Anyway I had the letter in the the recycle bin and restored it in the folder and placed it on the desk top, for one more look, and when I went to my Document file began to titled a folder, the title window started to act like a language program that writes Chinese, . . .

I then scanned it with Maleware Bytes, nothing same with SD, however when I closed SD, . . i get this, . .

Posted Image

I really can not gather any meaning out of it, . . Can you ?

Just Scanned Virus Total in Chinese, . . nothing Found.

Edited by Jove, 25 August 2009 - 03:07 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:22 AM

I believe that it may have somehow activated a toggle in the Language Program I went there and turned off advanced language services and typing titles was OK again.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

Unless you are 100 % sure of the contents and author of the letter, I'd delete it for good

You might want to look into Sandboxie
http://www.sandboxie.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:40 PM

Yep, I figured that if there was any damage with this single particular piece, it was already

done, so when the AVG red flag went up, . . I became a little curious, to know how or why, . .

but its a darn shame that various mail programs especially, O.E. doesn't have a way of

acting like the rest of your PC, where you can Up load a file rather an email directly from

there without opening it, for the simple reason, that people are communicating with persons

all over the world. Hey that gives me an idea! we'll just patent this idea by public disclosure,

I'll share it with you and will both get rich ! You be the Developer and I'll do the PR!

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users