Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

do i need a new motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lemon_lime123

lemon_lime123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

Hello,

I have a Compaq Presario S6000V thats about 4 years old. It has XP SP3, a Pentium 4 processor at 2.5GHz, and 1.24 GB of RAM. I normally have less than 40 processes running at a time, yet whenever I have Firefox, Songbird, and a few Explorer Windows open at a time, the CPU levels go through the roof. It lags behind, and sometimes I even lose my wireless connection (its a desktop with a wireless PCI card) for about a minute. I even have to change my keyboard cuz the one it came with worked only sometimes. My Rear audio ports do not work at all. Ive gone to MalwareRemoval.com and only had a virus the first time but reformatted the comp. Ever since then, they tell me i'm clean.

I spoke to a buddy of mine who is a computer nerd and he says my motherboard is bad. Is there a way i can find out for sure and how hard is it to change it out myself?

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

A lagging computer can be a sign of heat. You might first want to blow out the 4 years worth of dust (unless you already did). A can of CLEAN compressed air will do it.

Check your CPU and Chassis fans for proper rotation (speed) as well as the fans in the power supply.

As for your sound, you might want to go to device manager and remove all sound items and then reboot. It should find it as new hardware and that MIGHT get it back working for you.

The best way to check if it is the motherboard would be to install a new hard drive (maybe a borrowed drive?) and reinstall the OS. Upon reinstall, if things still do not work, I would say it is bad. Could be just the Southbridge Chip (that handles the sound) but it's not something you will be able to fix.

If you can get the same type of motherboard, that would be best. Otherwise, a new motherboard may fail the Windows activation and you will need to call them for activation help. Not a big deal. Just tell them your Hard Drive went south.

Here is a program SpeedFan, that will tell you the rotation speeds of your fans and the temp of your CPU and Motherboard.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users