Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KVM Switch Setup Confusion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gmz

gmz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

I have a desktop (Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista and Word 2007), I have a laptop (Dell B130/1300 with XP and Word 2007), and now I have a work computer (HP Compaq with XP, Word 2003 Viewer and DocQscribe [a medical transcription program based on Word]). I also have a Starview 4 Port CVI USB KVM Switch so that I can run all 3 computers from 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse, and 1 Printer. However, .................................... I am confused as to how to set these up. The instruction manual for the KVM switch talks about "slave computers" but don't I have to have a host computer to make the other computers the slaves?

The link to the instruction booklet for the Starview is http://www.startech.com/Data/ProductManuals/SV431DVIUA.pdf

If anyone can assist me in un-confusing me I would forever indebted to them.

My setup in my terms (I hope I am explaining this correctly) is: I want all 3 computers on my desk (a nice large teacher's desk). I want to use the 3 monitors but I only want to use 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, and 1 printer for all 3 systems.

Thank you in advance for any help and instructions that you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

So really, all that you want to switch is the keyboard and mouse, no?

SOME KVM switches NEED to see a single monitor. Or actually, what I mean to say is that they need to "feel" a monitor INPUT from each machine.

Yours has switches, so you might be able to do this very easily.

Ignore the master and slave computer stuff. They are ALL slaves.

Just hook up the Mouse and Keyboard connections from each computer to each of the 3 inputs you will use and then plug in a single Mouse/Keyboard into the Console Connections.

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users