Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 poria

poria

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:42 AM

I just got a new dell dimension xps gen 5 : pentium 4 D dual core processor at 3.0 ghz, 1 gig of ram at 667 mhz, 250 gig harddrive, creative audizy zs sound card, x850 xt platinum edition 256 mb video card. The problem is, the system doesn't seem to multitask too well and it takes longer for it to load certain programs than my old pc( dell dimension with 2.53ghz p4, 1 gig of ram, radeon 9800 pro, 80 gig harddrive). This is really annoying me and if anyone could tell me what could be the problem, I'd be eternally gratefully. I may return the computer. I'm open to advice. Hypothetically, this sytem should kick total ass, but it hasn't meet my expectations. It was supposed to be an upgrade.

Edited by poria, 18 July 2005 - 01:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:46 AM

What is your OS please?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:05 AM

How can nobody see it? It's easily a heating problem. Can your XPS "beast" (haha) breathe easy? As in, does it have adequate space behind the computer, and there is nothing blocking the front of the computer?

But, then again, I might be wrong.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:58 AM

In theory, the dual-core Pentium should be a screamer. However, in practice, it has a few pitfalls. It works rather quickly with programs designed for hyperthreading, but programs that are not designed for hyperthreading would work faster on a PC with a fast single-stream processor.

In order to keep from building too much heat, the D processor is running at a lower clock speed. Programs like Word and Photoshop, which are designed for hyperthreading work much faster, while programs like Acrobat, Naturally Speaking, IE, McAfee Viruscan, MS OFfice and Winzip aren't as fast. It might be just a tad early to be getting into the next generation of processors, since the software hasn't caught up with it yet.

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:09 AM

I so have to agree with Herk

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 poria

poria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:28 AM

os is xp proffesional. i first thought it was a heating problem too, but there isn't anything blocking the front or back. there are like 6 fans in it, and its always shooting out hot air from the back. i do have adaware. maybe herk is right about the processor.

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:39 AM

Although what herk said is true.

Your entire computer should be running at its best. If your just slowing down when launching programs its nothing to worry about.

Edited by TEB, 18 July 2005 - 11:40 AM.

#8 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:10 AM

Dear poria,

Have you downloaded any programs since you turned it on? Computers tend to place data anywhere it wants sometimes in places it has to look hard for later.

I recommend islo System Mechanic 5.0 as your utility program. The best program I have ever bought!

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:19 AM

Have you checked to see how many applications are running in the background?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users