Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please help upgrading from 2k to XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wordmaster

wordmaster

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

I am running windows 2000 SP 4 and am looking at upgrading to XP Pro. I have the full version XP pro disk. If I simply put it in and install XP, will I still have the programs I currently have or will I have to just start from scratch and install everything again?

What is the best way to install XP over 2k with the fewest problems? My HD's are currently set up as ntfs so that should not be a problem.

Also, I have a dual boot into Ubuntu. Will loading XP cause a problem with that ?

Any and all help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

After you install XP you will have to start from scratch and reload all your programs.

After you install XP you won't be given the dual-boot option any more. You will need to then run a boot loader like GRUB to get your dual-boot options back.

Be careful when you install that you format the partition where W2K is located and not the Ubuntu partition.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

I have loaded XP on a new system, but never as an upgrade. Is there no way to do it as you can do with 2k over 98?

I know you can start the 2k disk from within 98 and upgrade to 2k while still keeping the programs you have set up. I also know that is not the recommended way to do it, but I have done it a number of times with very minimal problems. Is there no way to do the same thing from 2k to XP?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

See Method 2 here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

Thank you. If I use the Method 2, will my current programs then be still installed as they are with a similar upgrade to 2k from 98?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

Yes, your current programs should still be there:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo...g_2kupgrade.asp

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

Thank you very much. Your help is greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users