Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone help me fix my flash drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PinkPanther3719

PinkPanther3719

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:32 PM

I have a usb flash drive that has recently stopped working and I don't have the money to send it off to be fix. I have a few major papers for school that is due soon that I need to get off of my flash drive, but it's completely dead. It doesn't connect or light up at all. It also overheats very quickly if I try to plug it into a computer and it has caused my computer to shut down twice.

My mom has asked her friend to help and they tried running a diskcheck. I run Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 3 and my mom runs Vista Home Basic 64-bit. It wouldn't work on either computer. I tried connecting it using a USB extension, but that didn't work either.

Is there anything I can do to just get the files off? I bought a new one, but I still need my files. Yet, I don't have the money to send it out to a repair place.

My USB flash drive is a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro

Edited by PinkPanther3719, 18 August 2009 - 06:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trinpim

Trinpim

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:54 AM

You can try it in the backside USB port of your desktop? :thumbsup:

#3 PinkPanther3719

PinkPanther3719
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

I've tried plugging it into all possible ports. Sorry forgot to mention that.

#4 Connor!

Connor!

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

I take it it's not showing up on Device Manager, or in my Computer?
Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

#5 PinkPanther3719

PinkPanther3719
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

No, it's not

#6 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

Well, if it's not recognized in any computers, it's probably cooked. Did you get it wet or expose it to any static electricity recently? That would kill it. Chances are, any files you had on it are toast as well. Flash memory can be notorious for dying.

That's just how I see it, you might want some other opinions before you toss it though :thumbsup:

#7 PinkPanther3719

PinkPanther3719
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

I never got it wet or exposed it to static electricity. I plugged it into my mom's computer and it recognized it and a few second later it didn't, but i hadn't removed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users