Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

[RESOLVED]

Hey, I've got an eMachines 366is, and the system was working fine until I connected my cuecat barcode scanner. I was wiggling the wires (because the cuecat is broken), and all of a sudden, the system went into suspend, which I could not bring it out of because the keyboard and mouse stopped working. The power button also did not function. I cycled the power with the power cord, and when I plugged it back in, the system appeared to boot fine, except the power buttons does not light, there is no video, and the keyboard and mouse do not function. The only reason I know it's running is because the NIC LED is lit and the PSU fan is running. Can anyone figure out the problem? The power button will not turn it off. The only way to shut it down is to unplug it.

Edited by Riker, 18 August 2009 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

I was wiggling the wires (because the cuecat is broken), and all of a sudden, the system went into suspend,

You could have possibly shorted out and damaged the USB controller on the motherboard
You might be able to get a USB controller card and get things to work
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

You could have possibly shorted out and damaged the USB controller on the motherboard
You might be able to get a USB controller card and get things to work

One thing I forgot to mention was that the cuecat was connected via PS/2. Could that still be the case? I don't plan on buying any new parts on a 10-year-old computer.

Edited by Riker, 18 August 2009 - 06:33 PM.

#4 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

Never mind. After the computer took a little rest while unplugged, it started working again.

--Resolved--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users