Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with my Documents and Settings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

This is a bit of a long story, but here goes.

The other day my pc wouldn't boot windows (XP Pro) and a message on the screen said:
"Could not start Windows because the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

It also advised using the installation CD and pressing "r" at the first available screen to repair the problem.

The first thing I did was to go past the first screen that appears and offers to repair your windows installation and continue to where setup looks for any existing installs of windows and gives you the option to install windows or to select the existing install and repair it. But it didn't show the existing installation of windows. So I exited and started setup over and this time took the option to "repair" at the first instance which is right after setup says "setup is starting windows"

I followed that advice and had to login to the windows installion that I wanted to repair (this was all in DOS format). So after logging into the only windows installation I navigated to the directory WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\ and using the DIR command I saw a file named "system" and another file named "system.sav"....both files being identical in size. So, I copied "system.sav" to "system" and then I tried to boot windows again and it booted but I though that something must be wrong so I went back to using the setup CD and this time after telling setup to install windows and agreeing to terms by pressing F8 setup DID show the existing windows installation and I oppted to repair it.

Now, before alll this I copied the contents of "Documents and Settings" to another drive in case I needed it to restore later.

After Windows setup repaired, there now existed a new Administrator account and a new "documents and Settings"

What I want is to be able to restore the "Documents and Settings" that existed before.

Is there anything that I can do?
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Have you tried simple replacement of the folders by cut-and-paste?

Is your old profile still reflected in Control Panel/User Profiles?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users