Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTFS Alternate Data Stream

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:42 PM

Hi, I don't know if I am asking this question in the right place or not, but here goes, Does anyone know what a > NTFS Alternate Data Stream < is? Does anyone know what an > ADS Hidden Stream < is?

Can anyone tell me what those two things do? Is it a bad thing to have them on your PC?

:thumbsup: Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:42 PM

Hi, I don't know if I am asking this question in the right place or not, but here goes, Does anyone know what a > NTFS Alternate Data Stream < is? Does anyone know what an > ADS Hidden Stream < is?

Can anyone tell me what those two things do? Is it a bad thing to have them on your PC?

NTFS alternate data streams are used for various legitimate purposes:

* Extended attributes (title, subject, author, category, keywords, comments, etc. that appear on the Summary tab of the Properties dialog).
* Thumbnails of image files (created by the Windows Indexing Service).
* MacOS files that require multiple streams per file (called "forks").

As for the "ADS Hidden Stream" I am not 100% sure but I believe it is not good.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:59 PM

An ADS is simply a file attached to another file, for any number of reasons. They are, by nature, hidden. You are also talking about the same thing, not two different things. In some cases they are completely legitimate, and in some cases, they are a result of malware.

If I may caution you just a bit... you currently have Bobby F. helping you, and if I were you, I would stick with his help. You have about three or four different threads going, and some of the advice you are getting is completely wrong, not to mention it is conflicting with the help those that know what they are doing are trying to give you. The net result is that you are going to screw up your system beyond belief.

The problems you are having may very well be related to one singular problem, yet you are presenting them as different issues. Please don't do that. We don't want you to damage your system, and that is exactly what is going to happen.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:42 PM

Hi groovicus, Thanks for the information. I do intend to stick with Bobby F., and I have already noticed that some of that advice didn't sound right.

Before I do anything even remotely major to my system I take a look at where the "Helpful" information comes from, and I have a tendency to go with guy's who have your logo over there by their name.

Tell you what, why don't you close this thread, and the other threads that you feel are causing a conflict here, and pass all of the information along to Bobby F. so that he will know what all is going on, OK?

I think that that would be the best way for me to go. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi phatcat42141, Thanks for your input too. Now I know a little more about whats in my system.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users