Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Really Loud

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

Hello everyone.

A few days ago, I found that my computer was crashing from overheating. After opening up the case for cleaning, I discovered that the case fan became unplugged. So I plug it back in.

Now the temperature levels are great, but, that fan is always running at maximum speed, making a really loud noise. I'm pretty sure that before it had a variable speed. SpeedFan is unable to read my fan speeds.

The fan, when I hold it with my hand in the air, makes an acceptable noise level. Though, when it's attached to the case, it's much louder, I think because of the vibrations against the case. I tried putting rubber between where the fan contacts the side of the case, but it didn't help much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
The Panda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

Hi PropagandaPanda!

SpeedFan is unable to read my fan speeds.

Could it read the readings before this problem happened?

You've got two options here (apart from changing the fan):
1. Your first option would be to try and ensure the fan is tightly secured to the case. You can do this by getting holders for your fan. Depending on your computer case, there should be slots where you'd need to secure the holder to the case using a screw.

2. Your second option would be, instead of using rubber, try using a piece of sponge. It should be able to dampen the vibrations caused by the fan.

Edit: Just had another idea:
Instead of just using rubber, insert a layer of sponge in between the fan and the rubber. Reason why I'd use sponge is that it is really good at dampening forces transferred between the fan at the case.
Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Edited by aommaster, 18 August 2009 - 09:31 AM.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

Could it read the readings before this problem happened?

I don't think so, no.

I'll try putting in the sponge later today and see how it goes.

With Regards,
The Panda

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

It just might be time to replace it...case fans are cheap and readily available.

As for attaching, I just attach mine with superglue or a reasonable substitute :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

At a second look, most of the noise if from the air moving through the grill.

Guess there's not much to do about that, apart from cutting it off.

The Panda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users