Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM question..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 infinity92

infinity92

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

i've been experiencing some random firefox crashes and problems installing some programs lately. i just replaced my PSU so it's not the problem. I have a 2month old kingston ddr400 RAM with CAS 3 and i mixed it with another kingston RAM ddr333 CAS 2.5. I was told by crucial.com that mixing RAM speeds are okay so i did. From the start, the new RAM has been giving me crashes and upon those times i've been trying hard to find the problem.

i came about this website that tells about CAS latency so i had an idea to check about it. When I checked in the bios, the only SDRAM CAS latency options are CAS 2 and 2.5. My ddr333 has CAS2.5 so it's not a prob but my ddr400 has CAS 3 so i've been thinking about it. Does this cause any problem??

I already tried removing the ddr333 and so it's just the ddr400 but still crashes happen. I also tried it with just the ddr333 and no crashes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith Fawcett

Keith Fawcett

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:56 AM

Your motherboard might not support the new ram you installed. Did you check the manufacturers site to see what ram is compatible with your motherboard?

For best performance you should always install matching pairs of ram. Trying to use different types can cause problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users