Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Center Lost,,,,,then found but won't run

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 itbtoni

itbtoni

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:12 AM

Okay, I give up before I do more damage. My Media Center suddenly disappeared and I finally found it but can't get it to run. HP says it can't be reinstalled and provided me with a link I already tried. Whe I open the program I get 2 pop up windows. 1. Media Center has stopped working.....A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution becomes available. Close Program 2. Invalid Application. Unable to launch "SymAddin" Disable Application / OK.
I would truly appreciate any advice or help.

Sincerely~
It b Toni :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

Found this thread and how they solved it
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation.as...readid=31172155
This is what it is:
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/symaddin/
It's a part of Norton Security

You might want to see if you can disable it using Autoruns:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:24 AM

Okay, I give up before I do more damage. My Media Center suddenly disappeared and I finally found it but can't get it to run. HP says it can't be reinstalled and provided me with a link I already tried. Whe I open the program I get 2 pop up windows. 1. Media Center has stopped working.....A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution becomes available. Close Program 2. Invalid Application. Unable to launch "SymAddin" Disable Application / OK.
I would truly appreciate any advice or help.

Sincerely~
It b Toni :thumbsup:

Hi itbtoni,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The issue you are having with the 'SymAddin" component of Norton 360 can be resolved by properly removing and reinstalling Norton 360. Please carefully follow the steps below.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Click on the link below and then choose the "Download" button under 'Norton 360" to download the latest installer.

Download latest Norton 360 Installer

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton 360 version 3, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates." When the updates have been installed, restart your computer.

5. Open Norton 360, mouse-over the 'PC Security" bubble and choose "Run Scans" and then choose "Comprehensive Scan" to check for any infections on your computer.

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#4 itbtoni

itbtoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Thank You Mark & Mike for your reply in regards to my Media Center. You'll both be happy to know that I got it back. I ran a system file scan in command prompt as Administrator, and as luck would have it, it was one of the files it was able to fix. I am very greatful to the both of you for you taking the time to help me. Have a Nice weekend!

It B Toni :thumbsup:

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Thank You Mark & Mike for your reply in regards to my Media Center. You'll both be happy to know that I got it back. I ran a system file scan in command prompt as Administrator, and as luck would have it, it was one of the files it was able to fix. I am very greatful to the both of you for you taking the time to help me. Have a Nice weekend!

It B Toni :thumbsup:

Hi It B Toni,

Thanks for the update and I'm happy to hear that everything is now working again.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users