Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

converting .dmg file to .iso file.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 john23jay

john23jay

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:49 PM

i just wanna ask which one is more ideal to do.

1. Directly convert a .dmg file (usually a mac file) into a .iso file (cd/dvd image file)

OR

2. Extract first the .dmg file to your computer then burn directly the extracted files onto a cd or dvd?

I'm just confused with this when i converted a .dmg file to a .iso file, the 5.84GB dmg file became 6.90GB iso file whereas when i extracted the contents of the two, it's size is only 784MB. That is: 5.84gb dmg file and 6.90gb iso file, when extracted it resulted the same to 784mb.

so i'm thinking if i just extract first and then burn. in doing this, i'll be using only 784mb on a cd or dvd instead of converting the dmg file to iso file before burning (which will consume 6.90gb).
that 784mb when burned onto a cd or dvd will make an iso file first using my Nero Burning ROM before writing on the the disc in which the iso size is only 784mb.

does the two methods i mentioned above make any change or will just result to same contents and format?

i don't know if the two methods will affect any files or configuration files. by the way, the dmg file is an installer that must be burned in order to use. that's why i'm much concerned of this as it may affect the data.

thanks for any idea.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users