Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 queenofspades234

queenofspades234

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:28 PM

I use Windows XP, and my computer is about 2 years old. I know pretty much nothing about computers, so I don't know if that is relavant, but I thought it might be.
I recently got an icon on my screen that said that I have little disk space remaining on my c drive. I removed several programs from my computer, and the message has since gone away.
However, I noticed that there are several programs on my computer that I cannot remove. I have gone to Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. When I try to remove the program, a message pops up saying that my computer "could not open INSTALL:LOG file" or "NSIS error: The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download, or a virus. You may want to contact the author of this installer to try to obtain a new copy. It may be possible to skip this step using the /NCRC command line switch (not recommended)."
These are programs I downloaded off the internet a few months ago. They never worked, and I am aware that I download bad software, but I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me any tips. I attempted to find the programs by looking in My Computer > C Drive. I could not find any of the problematic programs, and I am now stumped as to how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also, is there any way that I could find out how much space I have left on my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:59 AM

Hi,

Try removing those programs through this...

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading

Hope this works..

#3 queenofspades234

queenofspades234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

I downloaded the program, and tried to uninstall the programs through that. I got the same messages. Is there something else I can do? Thanks.

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

What programs did you download. If you think you got "bad software" then you very well may have. The problem is that the "bad" could have caused more serious issues, or potentially (as the error message states) a virus infection, etc.

What did you download, where from, and what cannot be removed?
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

Worth a look, http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/nsis-error...etup-installer/

Louis

#6 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Try these link too,

http://www.khattam.info/2009/04/21/could-n...problem-solved/

Moreover as you have said that the programs to be uninstalled are not listed under program files...It is possible that
they have been uninstalled but certain values like the their entries in the Add or Remove programs list and registry entries still exist, try this link if above is the case,

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users