Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Vista

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 David Worth

David Worth

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

Hello,
It is Aug 17 2009. Within the last couple of days I got a new update for windows vista. Now I cannot log into some sites. I cannot get into ebay, westjet or my webmail account. I also cannot send message forms such as support emails. I tried to send one to Microsoft for some help. I have googled several topics and tried some suggestions to no avail. I was hoping that someone here would be willing to help me get going again. I am sure it is an option changed in IE but what and where has got me stumped. can anyone help me?

regards,
David W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gitty

Gitty

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:39 PM

Hey David,

What do you mean you cannot log on to some sites. What does it say?

What type of email were you trying to use? Outlook?

By the way, I really suggest you use Mozilla Firefox. It's much faster and more efficient then IE, with tons of addons etc.

You can get it here or check it out if you'd like:

www.mozilla.com

#3 David Worth

David Worth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:52 PM

Hi gitty,
Thanks for the reply. Well itis very strange. I cannot log into ebay. I cannot log into westjet. I cannot log into my webmail account. Actually I can log into these sites I cannot get past the next page after log on. WESTJET and webmail after log in I just get a white screen. On ebay I get If you are seeing this page, your browser settings prevent you from automatically redirecting to a new URL. I googled everything I could on this message and tried all of the suggestions but nothing helped. Do you have any other ideas?

regards,
David

#4 Gitty

Gitty

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:07 AM

It sound's like you must have some new type of security settings set now.

I don't use IE much but I'm checking it out.

#5 David Worth

David Worth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

Hi,
Yeah that's what I think also but what? I have been exploring mozilla. Funny thing here is that I can still google. I can't go past the first page of any sites. I went to the free learning site about mozilla. I can get into the site but can't go past that. Can't see any of the info in the site. Damn weird I say.

Regards,
David W

#6 Gitty

Gitty

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:11 AM

OK here.

Go to IE and go to Tools then Internet Options

Click on the security tab and then highlight the "internet" zone with the globe

Then click "custom level" near the bottom to open the security settings window.

Scroll down the list of settings to about the middle where it says "Allow META refresh" and make sure that's enabled.

Click ok then ok again, then restart IE and see if it helped

if "allow meta refresh" is already enabled then we'll try something else

Have you considered Mozilla Firefox?

#7 David Worth

David Worth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:14 AM

Hi,
Yes I did meta fresh it did not help. If I start mozilla can I go back to IE if I don't like Mozilla?

regards,
David

#8 Gitty

Gitty

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:18 AM

Wow that is extremely weird.

If you'd like to try to download firefox, go here

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/down...&lang=en-US

You can reset your setting for IE by doing this:
1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
4. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm.

or you can reinstall IE by going to one of these depending on which IE you have

For Internet Explorer 7
To download and reinstall Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP, visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...30-081805B2F90B (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9AE91EBE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B)

For Internet Explorer 8
To download and reinstall Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP, visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...63-f581977282a8 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/?ocid=ie8_s_ad7fa1d4-a75b-4df7-ad63-f581977282a8)

Yes of course you can get Mozilla, and still use IE if you don't like it

Mozilla Firefox will not replace IE or anything.

Just an alternative.

#9 David Worth

David Worth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:22 AM

Hi,
Thanks for all of that info. Wow. I am not using XP it is Vista. I will try mozilla tomorrow. It's late I have been working on this trouble for two days and I need to go to bed. Hopefully someone else has seen this or is having this problm and they will reply.

Regards,
David

#10 Gitty

Gitty

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:57 AM

oh haha sorry about that wasnt even paying attention.

Alright

I think ur problem will be fixed if you reset the internet settings in IE or just reinstall IE.

#11 David Worth

David Worth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

HI,
Reset IE didn't help. Reinstalled IE didn't help. Any other ideas?

regards,
David W

#12 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

When you got the update windows usually creates a restore point.I would try using system restore and go back to the point before the update and see if that helps.It creates a restore point in case of such problems.I have Vista and it creates a restore point automatically prior to installing a update.

#13 David Worth

David Worth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

Hello codhead,
Thanks for your reply. Well I also thought of that. Here's what happened. I did a couple of restore points. 1 indeed just befoe the update and one at the first of august. In both restore instances the restore worked ok until windows did the update again. Listen to this after the first restore and before the update I went into google and went to eaby it worked just fine. I then went to westjet and it worked also. Then the update came again a few minutes later and bingo it doesn't work again! Simply cannot get past the first page. I can't send a message to microsoft support. Can't get past the first page. The latest thing that happens is that windows media player doesn't work either. I was testing other things and found this quite by accident. I am really stumped here. I need someone's help to get this resolved. I am sure other people are having this problem.

Regards,
David W

#14 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

It must be the update that is causing the problem.Go to your updates and click on the one that is giving you a problem and uninstall it.You must have your updates set to automatically download and install updates.I think you can change it to notify you before installing the update so you can choose if you want it or not.In fact I have mine this way as there was one nvidia update that caused me problems.Try that anyway.

#15 David Worth

David Worth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

HI,
I have looked at that already. I have 30 or 40 updates in there. I found and uninstalled IE8. It did ok and then updated again. Same problem popped up. I am not sure how to turn off automatic updates.

Regards,
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users