Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello BleepingComputer.com

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JK_Hubber

JK_Hubber

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

Hello all,

New to this here site. Came across it while trying to find online advice on how to fix some computer-related complications that i've recently been subjected to. Site says make an introduction, so here i am.

Name's Jason i'm turnin' 22 this year. I'm not computer illiterate, but i struggle with maintaining my computer's stability... (stupid pests, viruses and the like).

My most recently dilemma came from (i believe) a game i downloaded off of kazaa called Blasterball. There was pest warning prior to installation which i regrettably ignored. Now my system is suffering from constant pop-up "blooping" or beeping noises, strange icons that pop up on my desktop (free ringtones, mp3s, adult finder, etc), a favourites list that cannot be modified in any way and a toolbar that is annoying to get rid of.

Anyways, whilst searching up methods of removal, i stumbled upon a HijackThis referral and followed the instructions to remove a seemingly similar pest. It worked for about 20 minutes and then all the icons and favourites and toolbars came back!

That is why i am here now, throwing myself at the mercy of those more competant than i and sincerely hoping that at least one of you will empathize with me.

Please and thank you.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

Welcome to BC!
Although I cannot quite sympathize with problems resulting from P2P downloading, I suggest you post a HJT log to the log forum for our great volunteer team to review and help you rid yourself of the malware that most likely came with your game downloaded. Expect such problems if you continue to use P2P.
Please read and follow the instructions posted here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 18 July 2005 - 10:23 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 JK_Hubber

JK_Hubber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:53 AM

Thank you :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:25 AM

You might want to check your signature and include the closing tags.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 couchy

couchy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

sounds like you have got the dreaded se.dll virus - it will get worse and worse - you can look in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp and if se.dll is there you are gubbed

I use Xoftspy and have scheduled it to run automataically every day to zap it and others - it keeps it under control but it keeps coming back - whoever wrote that virus is a genius - a mad bad genius and a pain in the ass

couch

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:15 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! JK_Hubber and couchy.
Glad to have you both aboard. BC Tutorials can also help you remove almost any virus.

Good Luck,
yanowhiz

#7 JK_Hubber

JK_Hubber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

Is Xoftspy freeware/shareware by chance? :thumbsup: