Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not execute programs from CD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tmv

tmv

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

OK, my computer recognizes my CD drive, the correct name appears on the D drive when I insert a CD and I can see all the objects contained on the CD, but programs will not execute when I open or double click on them. (I am trying to install software for a new Canon printer).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ted

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ndg2006

ndg2006

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:27 PM

Is this the only disc that does it? If so, head over to Canon's website to download the latest software. If not, I have seen firmware problems like this on CD-ROM drive's many times. Try seeing if you can update the firmware from your Manufacturer's website.

#3 tmv

tmv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

I can't execute from any CDs.

I tried to download firmware from Dell (I have an XPS 210), but when I did, I got an error that said "Target drive not found". I have uninstalled the CD and rebooted too.

I must admit that I am having other PC problems from a virus. I think it was called c.exe or something like that, if that has anything to do with this problem.

Thanks.

#4 ndg2006

ndg2006

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

I can't execute from any CDs.

I tried to download firmware from Dell (I have an XPS 210), but when I did, I got an error that said "Target drive not found". I have uninstalled the CD and rebooted too.

I must admit that I am having other PC problems from a virus. I think it was called c.exe or something like that, if that has anything to do with this problem.

Thanks.

It very well could...

I have had some trouble installing firmware updates as well. Typically this is a conflict between other drives. Do you have any virtual drives or other disc drives?

#5 tmv

tmv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

Nope, but I will have an external hard drive real soon, believe me!

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:43 PM

If your computer is infected with a virus, I advise you to clean your PC first and then take care of other problems, or it will always interfere in the normal working of your PC. You may post about your PC's infection in this section: Am I Infected? What to do?

#7 ndg2006

ndg2006

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

Haha, fair enough. My best recommendation for you is to try removing and reinstalling the filters for your drive. Though you don't have the same symptoms as a drive that has gone missing, it may help. First though, try making a new profile on your computer, boot it up, and try executing a disc there.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

<<...I got an error that said "Target drive not found".>>

To me, that would indicate a different problem, one with your hard drive/system partition.

Romeo29's suggestion would seem to have merit, IMO.

If that malware check proves negative (no malware is found), then I would turn to diagnosing hardware for possible problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users