Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not booting after changing soundcard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lorensfish

lorensfish

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

This is what I have

This is a custom built - by a local computer co. - 3.0 G Intel Pent 4
Board: Intel corp D915GAV AAC64134-400
Bus Clock 200 megahertz
BIOS - Intel

Creative SB Live 5.1 Audio

So this is what is happening - We took the computer to a local PC "Doctor" because it had various viruses and needed to be wiped.

When we got the computer back - everything was great except for the sound. The sound would work for a while and then suddenly it would become all static. The PC Doc came over to check out the problem. He disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS as he thought this was a conflict and would fix the problem. It did not and he surmised that we had a bad sound card.

We then got a new sound card Creative Sound Labs Blaster X5 Extreme Audio 5.1 (PCI like the old one)

We installed the new one and then the PC would not boot up. Also now one of the fans would run for about 5 seconds and then shut off.

We are now also unable to get the computer to boot up with the old card - same thing happens.

The only way that the PC will boot up is to remove the sound card altogether, unplug the malfuntioning fan and unplug all other hardware that requires power. Once it is going we can start plugging things back in and the fan stays running (but running slow?) and everything works - but we still have not installed our sound card.

I think I know where this is going - but how do we fix it and get our new sound card in and working properly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SBTech

SBTech

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

Sounds like the PSU is not providing enough power. What is the W on it?
SB Tech Solutions, LLC
www.sbtechonline.com

#3 lorensfish

lorensfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

It's 350

And we did not have any of these boot up issues until we tried to change the soundcard

Edited by lorensfish, 17 August 2009 - 09:55 PM.

#4 infinity92

infinity92

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:02 AM

yeah, i suspect it's the PSU. the new sound card might be consuming more power than the older one. try replacing your PSU with a higher power.

#5 lorensfish

lorensfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

Ok - So this is what we have:

HP Photosmart D7400 Printer
Epson scanner
Logitech Webcam
Momo Racing Wheel
Powered HUB connector (This is because two of our USB ports went bad a while ago)
And we still need to change out the soundcard

We now believe that the USB ports may have been the beginning of our power issue (through a little research).

The PC will now boot up with the old sound card in and the Momo and HUB connector disconnected, however one of the fans will stop for a second and then start up again.

Our PSU is a HIPRO HP350 WX (ATX?)

What would be a good recommendation for a new PSU and would that maybe also correct the two non working USB Ports?

Edited by lorensfish, 18 August 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

You might take a look at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1079

The warranty provision is a plus, I believe it's a pretty good PSU.

The problem with anyone stating that it will cure your current problems which are noted (you may have more problems)...is that no one here has the system, except you.

If it's the PSU, a new one will take care of it.

IMO the smart thing to do before purchasing new components...is to borrow or temporarily obtain a comparable/same item and see if replacing the native device...eliminates the problem. It takes probably a total of 5-10 min to replace a power supply, in and out of a system.

Louis

#7 lorensfish

lorensfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Louis -

We have obtained a 500 W PS that we can try to see if this fixes the problem - we have the option to take it back, so I may just show my husband the link you sent me. I liked the reviews and the lifetime warranty - price is about the same.

I will keep you posted.

Cindy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users