Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running exceedingly slow, antivirus finds nothing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ezpkns34

ezpkns34

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

Just like the title says. I'm getting tired of my computer randomly deciding to come to a virtual standstill when the only program I have running is a web browser (happens with either IE or Firefox). I only have the basic processes & antivirus stuff running along w/ IE, but when I ctrl+alt+del it says my CPU Usage is at nearly 80%. Sometimes it works fine, other times it runs so slow that I have to restart my comp & hope that it solves the problem (& it usually does). AVG & MBAM pick up nothing, so I'm at a loss as to what else to do here.

Even as I sit here & type this message, the comp is going so slow that when i type, there's about a 2-3 second before they start to show up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

What process is using up all the CPU?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

I restarted the comp b/c it was just going too slow & it took longer than normal to startup. While it's not going as slow right now, TeaTimer.exe is using 75,344 K & System is using 74,248 K. (according to Mem Usage) Neither typically use anywhere near that much.

Edited by ezpkns34, 17 August 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

What about CPU? You said your CPU usage is at nearly 80%. Which process is using all the CPU?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

It was til I restarted it.

Forgot I took a screenshot of it while it was going slow.

CPU use was as follows:
iexplore.exe - 50
TeaTimer.exe - 6
avrsx.exe - 4
explorer - 2
sgbhp.exe - 2
BCMWLTRY.EXE - 2
csrss.exe - 1
taskmgr.exe - 1

Only half the processes fit in the pic, so not sure which others were using any CPU

At present iexplore is varying from 0-5 on CPU Usage, while others programs are using no more than 1. I would just write it off as an anomoly, but like I said, it's been happening more & more often as of late.

Edited by ezpkns34, 17 August 2009 - 08:34 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

You could try some general things like cleaning out all your temps files - running chkdsk and defrag.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:36 PM

disk defragmenter said my C drive didn't need to be defragmented, should I defragment anyway?

How do I go about cleaning out temp files & running chkdsk?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

No need to defrag then.

This is good for cleaning out temp files: http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

To run chkdsk, right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

Cleaned out tmp files w/ ATF & will run chkdsk after I finish writing this paper real quick. Will any kind of log pop up after chkdsk finishes error checking?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

A log will be saved in the Event Viewer under an item called "winlogon".

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Ok. Want me to post results of the log afterward?

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

Yes, post the log. The chkdsk scan can take several hours to run. You might want to set it to run overnight.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

Chkdsk only took about 15 secs, saying that it found nothing. Still looked for the log, but couldn't find it (assuming there wasn't one made due to it finding nothing).

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

Did you have to reboot to run chkdsk?

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

Sorry, been a busy day. Yes, I had to restart to run chkdsk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users