Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to turn on Active X/javascript

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fache

Fache

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

I upped my internet security recently, following instructions I found on this site somewhere (sorry, don't remember where; possibly in the "Am I Infected?" threads.) In doing so, I seem to have rendered myself unable to watch anything on YouTube.

I keep getting messages that say Active X controls are not allowed under my current security settings, or that I have javascript turned off. How do I reactivate these? And how much more vulnerable will I be if I do?

Thanks,
--Fache

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

You need the new version of Flash. Use the Flash uninstall tool at the link below to uninstall the old version first and then download the new version at the Adobe website.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#3 Fache

Fache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

Got the link to open, clicked on the "Windows" link, and got this error message:

"Your current security settings to not allow this file to be downloaded."

Grr.

So I tried going through the regular download site; I clicked on the "Agree and install now" button, and the little bar popped up at the top of the screen saying,

"Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. Click here for options . . . "

I clicked thereon and hit the little "More information" button, which brought up a little help box on "Understanding the Internet Explorer Information bar."

Thank you, unhelpful help box. How do I get around this?

Edited by Fache, 17 August 2009 - 06:24 PM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:54 AM

Then it's likely that your IE security settings are too high. I usually have it at medium.

#5 Fache

Fache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

You're right, that was it.

I just worry that leaving them at Medium (or Medium High, which also seems to work) will leave me open to another virus...

#6 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

That guide you refer to is probably thinking of older IE versions or the author should relax a bit, heh. You do use IE8 right? Now you know that following guides to the letter often give you a pro vs. con situation. Guides are not written to you personally and tend to try cover every thinkable and unthinkable problem. Take them as helpful hints for what to focus on, not direct orders. Some basics cant be argued like updating OS, programs, have a little AV, Windows Firewall but much more depends, mostly on usage and users, but sometimes also on how relevant warnings/hints are. Conditions change, XP with no servicepack is not the same as updated Vista/7 - guides might not be updated, author might not be updated! So take it easy and dont get infected with too much good advice :thumbsup: Just because a guide is full of wise words does not mean you have to react instantly to avoid infection. Evaluate, make own local policy with guide in mind.

You know limited user account? May be the most effective way of protecting those who really need protection. Must be in guide too, as an absolute must if turning off AciveX is considered valuable. But of course there are possible cons too http://ask-leo.com/are_limited_user_accounts_effective.html If you have kids, a not so technical wife then pros should outweigh cons easy. If you are only user battle might be more equal. All depends.

Edited by Bambo, 19 August 2009 - 09:22 PM.

#7 Fache

Fache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

Haha, thanks Bambo! I think I need to relax a bit too . . .

And after taking yours to heart, I will try not to get infected with TOO much more good advice. {^_^}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users