Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find my USB flash devices or my HD partition now!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 n9wys

n9wys

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

Well, I was having some trouble seeing my USB thumb drives on my home machine (Win XP - latest upgrades all installed). I did a web search on the phrase "XP does not see my USB flashdrive" and it took me to a Microsoft "Knowledge Base" article. The title of the KB article is: "A computer that is running Windows XP cannot detect a USB flash drive, an Apple iPod, or an external hard disk drive", article #925196.

I followed the instructions in the article, and installed the Microsoft FixIt item (#50028) listed on the page. I still can't see the USB drives when I plug them in, but in addition - NOW I CAN'T SEE MY "D" PARTITION on my hard drive!! :thumbsup: How do I get this crap off my machine and get back to "normal"??? ALL of "My Documents" and much other data are stored on the "D" drive.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

Look in Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation points by the USB root hub controllers
Loosing your partition makes me think that you might be infected
Have you done any AV scans?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 n9wys

n9wys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

I scan all the time - and have a regular schedule (daily) for this. I run AVG Free 8.5 as my primary antivirus, plus I run Advanced SystemCare3, SpyBot and AdAware. I was hoping that between the four of them, they'd catch most anything. And yes, I have autoupdates enabled for all of them.

I'm afraid I may have been bitten by a bug as well, but I have no idea now just what to look for... and I'm REALLY hoping the the "partition gone missing" is not due to a format - although 90% of my documents are backed up on another computer (my laptop, which I'm on right now). Again that partition thing didn't happen until I ran that damned Microsoft FixIt crap. I'm not sure what happened with the partition - FWIW, I also have a TechMaster 2009 CD, and I can't see it with those tools either.

Looking right now at the USB Root Hub controllers - no exclamation marks at all visible, either there or anywhere in Device Manager.

Thanks,
Mark - N9WYS

Edited by n9wys, 18 August 2009 - 07:56 AM.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

my windows xp sp2 did that
after i changed it to NTFS but
you could reinstall drivers
did the usb slots uesd to work ?

for the fixit program
is their no add/remove ? probley not but its worth looking
(i dont think the program would have removed your parition)

#5 n9wys

n9wys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:23 PM

Nope - saw nothing in Add/Remove Programs for the hotfix (FixIt)...

Yes, the USB slots worked before this happened. I also forgot to note: Before I applied the FixIt, I showed drive "H:", but it had no capacity (showed "0" for storage space)

I think I'll try looking in Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management and see if the partition is there, but not mounted.

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

your sure the usb drive is not broken or dead ?
i never seen it happan but i guess it can

#7 n9wys

n9wys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

100% certain. In fact, I'm using it right now at work...
I have two drives - different manufacturer - and they both yield the same effect on the problem PC.

#8 n9wys

n9wys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

BTW - regarding the Drive "H:" issue I mentioned above - it shows up whether there is something plugged into the USB port or not...

#9 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

does your hard drive get detected in device manager?
and if so look at the drive letter assignment

#10 n9wys

n9wys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

The first partition of the hard drive is dectected (as C:), but not the other partition (D:).

#11 n9wys

n9wys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

I am working all this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to get into Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management to see if the "missing" partition is viewable there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users